- Singer Joy Villa attended the 2019 Grammy Awards wearing a dress inspired by Donald Trump’s “Build the Wall” slogan.
- The white ball gown was designed by Desi Designs Couture, featured a brick print, and read “Build the Wall” on the back of its skirt.
- She also carried a red purse that read “Make America Great Again.”
- When the singer first arrived on the red carpet, she wore a silver overlay covering her dress, but eventually removed the layer.
- This isn’t the first time the singer has made a political statement on the red carpet, having previously worn similar dresses to the Grammy Awards.
Singer Joy Villa made a political statement while attending the 2019 Grammy Awards at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.
Seemingly inspired by Donald Trump’s plan to build a wall against the US-Mexico border, the musician wore a white dress that featured a brick print. A ball of metal shaped like barbed wire was also attached to each strap on her dress.
Villa accessorized with a spiked headband, more metal jewellery, and a red purse that read “Make America Great Again.”
Once the singer turned around, it was revealed that the back of her skirt read “Build the Wall” in a red font. The barbed wire-like accessory also appears to have wrapped around her back.
The dress was designed by Desi Designs Couture. Ahead of the show, the brand shared a disclaimer with fans on Instagram, saying that the “views, thoughts, and opinions expressed by my clients are not necessarily the same as my views, thoughts, and opinions.”
While Villa walked most of the red carpet wearing the border wall-inspired dress, she didn’t arrive that way. Originally, the artist wore a silver overlay covering the gown.
While Villa’s dress was certainly bold, it wasn’t necessarily unexpected. In 2017, the artist arrived at the Grammy Awards wearing another political gown.
That year, her mermaid-style dress was red, white, and blue, and, like her purse at this year’s awards show, said “Make America Great Again.” The back of the dress read “Trump” on its skirt.
The following year in 2018, Villa took a different approach, carrying a purse that read “Choose Life.” She also wore a white dress that appeared to show an unborn baby in a womb.
- Bebe Rexha turned heads in a voluminous red ball gown at the Grammys after saying some designers refused to dress her
- Cardi B turned up to the Grammys in a pearl-adorned dress that made her look like she was emerging from a shell
- Lady Gaga and Jennifer Lopez blew each other kisses while posing together on the Grammys red carpet and fans couldn’t handle it
- Janelle Monáe’s performance at the Grammys was a tribute to vaginas and people were here for it
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.