- Bubba Watson hit a putt at the Masters that somehow ended up in a bunker at the second hole at Augusta National.
- Watson was attempting to play aggressively, hoping to sink an eagle putt to help get him back in contention atop the leaderboard.
- While the shot didn’t work out as planned, Watson was still able to save par on the hole, with his putt proving just how tricky the greens at Augusta National can be.
Bubba Watson is amongst the best golfers alive when it comes to playing the Masters.
A two-time green jacket winner, Watson knows the greens at Augusta National as well as any player in the field. But on Sunday, the notoriously tricky greens got the best of Bubba, as one of his putts somehow found its way into a bunker.
The error occurred on the par 5 No. 2 at Augusta National. Entering the day at six-under, Watson had been having a great weekend of golf, but still found himself well off the leaders. After two brilliant shots to start the second hole, Bubba was left with a perplexing eagle putt – an opportunity he would have to take if he wanted a shot at adding yet another green jacket to his collection.
After reading the green, Watson made the bold decision to putt onto the fringe in hopes of leading the ball to break back towards the hole. Unfortunately, gravity foiled his plan, and he ended up on the beach.
— Eric Fawcett (@Efawcett7) April 8, 2018
Faulting Watson for the unfortunate turn of events is hard. He was playing as aggressively as he needed to if he was going to make a run at the top of the leaderboard. Proving his prowess further is the fact that he was able to get up and down out of the bunker to save par on the hole.
Still, the putt shows just how tricky the greens at Augusta National are – even the best players in the world can miss-play them to a point where they somehow wind up in the sand.
More Masters coverage:
- 34 things that make the Masters one of the quirkiest events in sports
- The Masters has insanely strict rules – here are the things they can throw you out for doing
- How to qualify for the Masters, the world’s most prestigious golf tournament
- How to get tickets to the Masters, one of the most exclusive sporting events in the world
- How to watch the Masters tournament online for free
- Food and beer at the Masters is the biggest bargain in sports
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.