Military personnel in Brussels reportedly shot and killed a man who set off explosions in a train station on Tuesday.
No civilian injuries were reported in the blast at Brussels Central Station, an incident one federal prosecutor described as a foiled “terror attack.”
The suspect, whose identity has not been revealed, was reportedly wearing what appeared to be an explosive belt. Agence France-Presse reported the suspect’s death after an initial statement from a federal prosecutor simply stating the suspect had been “neutralized.”
Belgian Federal Prosecutor’s Office spokesman Eric Van Der Sypt also said the suspect had been neutralized, Politico reported.
Belgian newspaper La Libre said the man attracted the attention of soldiers in the station before triggering the explosions, which happened around 9 p.m. local time. A fire service spokesman was unable to confirm what caused the blasts, but multiple witnesses told ABC News they heard two detonations.
Witnesses reported the suspect yelled “Allahu Akbar” before setting off the blasts.
Police quickly arrived on the scene to seal off the station, and a bomb disposal squad was called in to search for possible other explosives in the area. Grand Place, the Belgian capital’s main square and a major tourist site 200 meters away from the station, was also evacuated, according to the Associated Press.
There have been no reports of civilian injuries, and police said the situation is under control.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.