Over the weekend, The Sunday Times released its annual list of the wealthiest people in the United Kingdom.
What struck us was that many of the people on the list were not actually UK natives at all. Of the top 20, half were foreign-born.
In fact, no one in the top five of the list, which is based on identifiable wealth, land, property, and other assets, was originally from the UK.
- Lakshmi Mittal, with a net worth of $20.6 billion, who is from India and made a fortune in the steel business. He has homes in London and India.
- Alisher Usmanov, a Russian steel and mining magnate with a net worth of around $20 billion with homes in Russia and the UK.
- Roman Abramovich, a Russian oligarch and owner of the Chelsea football team, who is worth $15.4 billion and has homes in London and the U.S.
- Sri and Gopi Hinduja, Indian brothers who are worth around $14 billion and made their fortune as industrialists. They moved to London in 1979.
- Leonard Blavatnik, a Moscow-born tycoon worth $12.2 billion. He currently lives in London.t
Ernesto Bertarelli, who is Swiss-Italian, and his wife Kirsty, a Staffordshire-born former Miss UK, ranked sixth.
Check out the full list at the Sunday Times.
NOW WATCH: Executive Life videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.