China has the best schools of any major emerging economy, according to new list from QS ranking the top universities in BRICS countries.
BRICS is an economic term used to categorize the growing economics of Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa. Each BRICS country except India was represented in QS’ top 10, with China taking six of the top 10 spots.
QS ranked China’s Tsinghua University as the best university of the BRICS countries. A similar list last year from Times Higher Education that included the BRICS and 17 other emerging economies also included several Chinese universities.
According to QS, their methodology included eight indicators and attempted “to assess universities’ performance in four key areas: research, teaching, employability and international outlook.”
Here are the top 10 BRICS universities, via QS:
- Tsinghua University — China
- Peking University — China
- Lomonosov Moscow State University — Russia
- University of Science and Technology of China — China
- Fudan University — China
- Nanjing University — China
- Universidade de São Paulo — Brazil
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University — China
- Universidade Estadual de Campinas — Brazil
- University of Cape Town — South Africa
[NOTE: Universidade Estadual de Campinas and University of Cape Town are tied for ninth place on QS’ list]
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.