- Brazilian police took a parrot into custody on Monday after he allegedly tipped off his owners to a drug bust.
- The bird had been trained to squawk, “Mama, the police!” in the event of a raid, authorities said.
- He’s reportedly kept his beak shut throughout the police investigation.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
A “super obedient” parrot has dutifully kept his beak closed after Brazilian police took him into custody on Monday over allegedly tipping off his owners to a drug raid.
The bird had been trained to squawk, “Mama, the police!” in the event of a bust, officers involved in the operation told local media outlets.
“Lots of police officers have come by and he’s said nothing,” a local vet named Alexandre Clark said, according to The Guardian.
Despite the bird’s diligence, his apparent owners were eventually arrested in the raid, according to Meio Norte. Footage from police shows the parrot quietly sitting on a counter while officers rummage through drug paraphernalia.
An officer can then be seen carefully carrying the bird, perched on the edge of his palm, out of the home.
“He must have been trained for this,” one officer said, according to The Guardian. “As soon as the police got close he started shouting.”
The bird, whom reporters have been calling “papagaio do trafico,” meaning “drug-trafficking parrot,” has since been handed over to a local zoo, according to Globo.
- Read more:
- The giant flightless bird that killed its owner is now up for sale
- A police dog was stuck with 200 porcupine quills during the pursuit of a suspect
- Authorities mistook an 11-foot alligator for an unconscious person
- A Florida sheriff’s office tweeted adorable pictures of its new K-9 puppy Rommel, then changed its name to Scout after realising ‘the name is also tied to a #nazi war criminal’
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.