- An 11-year-old boy died Tuesday after entering a home where fish was being cooked.
- Police believe an allergic reaction to the smell may have been the cause of death.
- Camron Jean-Pierre, a New Jersey resident, was in Brooklyn when he had the possible allergic reaction on New Year’s Day.
- Steven Jean-Pierre, his father, said that the boy did not eat the fish, but only smelled it.
- The American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology suggests that those with fish allergy “stay out of areas where fish is being cooked, as proteins may be released into the air during cooking.”
An 11-year-old boy died Tuesday after entering a home where fish was being cooked. Police are investigating his cause of death, which they believe could have been an allergic reaction to the smell, a spokesperson for the NYPD told INSIDER.
Camron Jean-Pierre became sick shortly after entering the Brooklyn home of his grandmother, where she was cooking a cod dish. Police responded to a report of an unconscious male and found Jean-Pierre unresponsive. He was transported to Brookdale Hospital by EMS where he was pronounced dead.
Steven Jean-Pierre, his father, told The New York Post he attempted to revive him with a portable nebulizer but was unsuccessful.
“It just so happens they was cooking it when we came in,” Steven said. “Usually he don’t get nothing that severe.”
The American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology suggests that those with fish allergy “stay out of areas where fish is being cooked, as proteins may be released into the air during cooking.”
“My son was the best. He made everyone around him happy. He made his dad happy,” Steven said of Camron. “That was my prince, man. He was my everything.”
The Medical Examiner’s Office will determine the cause of death and a police investigation is ongoing, an NYPD spokesperson said.
- Read more:
- A high school requires students who have fallen behind in class to wear ‘scarlet badges’ that have led to ‘public ridicule’
- People are making fun of conservatives for criticising Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s dancing
- YouTube star Cameron Dallas has been arrested on assault charges
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.