Video shows a toddler who jumped onto an airport luggage belt and was carried back behind the scenes

  • A two-year-old boy was injured at the airport in Atlanta when he climbed onto a moving baggage belt at check-in.
  • The boy was pulled along the belt into a back room where the TSA screens checked luggage.
  • He suffered a fractured hand, and was taken to the hospital by Atlanta Fire and Rescue.
  • Local television station WSB-TV obtained security video of the incident.
  • Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

A two-year old boy at Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport was injured on Monday when he climbed onto a moving airport baggage belt at ticketing and ended up in a back room where the TSA screens checked luggage.

Dramatic video obtained by WSB-TV in Atlanta shows the boy playing near a moving luggage belt at the Spirit Airlines check-in area, and climbing on top of the apparatus. Then, he’s whisked away behind the scenes.

His mum, Edith Vega, looked down for a moment as she was printing out their boarding passes, then looked up and noticed him on the belt about to go through the tunnel to the other side, according to WSB-TV.

“When I tried to go after him, it was the end of the machine,” she told the television station. “He just went a long ride away. I couldn’t even catch up.”

According to Vega, it took five minutes to find her son – investigators told her he was in the TSA bag room, where the agency checks luggage before sending it through to the planes.

His hand was fractured, though it was not clear how it became injured.

Read more

: How to have a seamless travel experience on an international flight

In a statement to Fox News, the airport confirmed the incident and that the child was taken to the hospital:

“Officers with Atlanta Police and Atlanta Fire and Rescue responded to an incident at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport Monday afternoon involving a small child who accessed the automated baggage screening system via the Spirit Airlines ticket counter,” said Hartsfield-Jackson in a statement shared with Fox News.

The child was transported to a local hospital for observation and treatment. The Transportation Security Administration and other partners are also assisting with the investigation into the incident.”

Vega tried to follow her son down the belt into the back room, but was not allowed.

“I’m thankful he’s alive,” she told WSB-TV. “That’s all that goes through my mind. I’m just grateful he’s here. I just hope he gets better.”