- By Saturday night, “Black Panther” will become the highest-grossing superhero movie of all-time at the domestic box office.
- It will have surpassed previous record-holder, 2012’s “The Avengers” ($US623.2 million).
- However, counting inflation, “The Avengers” still is the top superhero movie with a domestic gross of over $US700 million.
By Saturday night, “Black Panther” will be the highest-grossing superhero movie of all-time at the domestic box office, with an estimated total of over $US630.5 million by the time the weekend’s over. It surpasses the previous title holder, 2012’s “The Avenger” ($US623.2 million).
The incredible feat by the movie is even more astounding by the fact that it was done in only 36 days.
And with a $US1.2 billion worldwide gross, the movie is inching closer to the top 10 all-time (currently sitting in 14th place just behind “Iron Man 3” with $US1.214 billion).
Now, none of this is counting inflation. When going down that road, “Black Panther” still has a little more work to do.
The Disney/Marvel box-office sensation will likely finally lose its number one spot at the domestic box office to newcomer “Pacific Rim: Uprising.”
And “Black Panther” is in fourth place for all-time superhero domestic grosses – behind 2002’s “Spider-Man” ($US637.8 million), 2008’s “The Dark Knight” ($US683.5 million), and “The Avengers” ($US705.7 million).
Nice company to be in, and with the movie still having a month (maybe two) in theatres, who knows where it will end up on this list of titans.
More “Black Panther”:
- MoviePass says it has bought over 1 million tickets for Marvel’s “Black Panther”
- A box-office analyst predicted “Black Panther” would make more money than “The Last Jedi” in China, and its opening day proved it will do just that
- The star of “Black Panther” revealed that Denzel Washington paid for his college acting classes – and he finally got to thank the veteran actor
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.