- Originally an American tradition, Black Friday is a huge sale event that signifies the start of the Christmas shopping season.
- For 2021, Black Friday will occur on November 26, while Cyber Monday kicks off on November 29.
- Visit Business Insider Australia’s homepage for more stories.
What started out as one of the biggest shopping days in the United States, has since exploded into an international phenomenon. The term “Black Friday” has become synonymous with huge savings, with retailers and brands offering some of the biggest deals and bargains during this annual event.
According to a survey run by Finder, 35% of Australians intend on taking advantage of the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales (that’s roughly equivalent to 6.8 million Australians).
So what exactly are Black Friday and Cyber Monday, and what can we expect during the upcoming 2021 sales?
Table of Contents
What is Black Friday?
Black Friday originally started in the United States as an event to signify the start of the Christmas shopping season. Over time it has evolved into one of the biggest shopping days of the year in the US.
Traditionally, Black Friday occurs on the fourth Friday in November, the day after Thanksgiving in the United States. Over the past decade, more and more Australian retailers have been embracing this tradition, offering huge sales during Black Friday.
This year, the event is set to occur on Friday, November 26. However, if past Black Fridays are anything to go by, not all retailers will stick to this date. Some may kick off their sales a few days earlier, or have their sales run well into the following week. A long weekend of sales that start on Black Friday and end on Cyber Monday isn’t an uncommon practice for some retailers.
While a fair share of Black Friday deals were in-store only during previous years, due to the COVID pandemic, these sales could be more online-focused this year, much like they were last year.
What is Cyber Monday?
Cyber Monday is another huge sale event, taking place on the Monday following Black Friday. As its name suggests, Cyber Monday is more focused on online sales, so expect to see some big deals through online retailers and brands.
This year’s Cyber Monday is set for November 29. Over the years, the line differentiating Black Friday from Cyber Monday has blurred, with the former offering a fair share of online bargains. However, don’t be surprised if certain retailers and brands offer deals exclusive to Cyber Monday.
What deals are available during Black Friday and Cyber Monday?
Most retailers won’t release information about their Black Friday sales until the day of, so we can’t give you a full rundown of what will be available. However, it’s a safe bet that if a retailer or brand has an online store, there’s a very good chance they’ll have some kind of Black Friday and/or Cyber Monday sale going.
Due to the time difference between Australia and the United States, there’s a good chance that we’ll be able to take advantage of the US’s Black Friday sales during Saturday, our time. The same can also be said for the US’s Cyber Monday sales. You may just have to wait a little bit longer for these international orders to arrive.
Are there any early Black Friday are currently available?
Retailers and brands like to play fast and loose with the event’s timings, and 2021 is now different. Here are a few of the best early Black Friday deals in Australia.
Best Black Friday 2021 tech and PC deals
- Amazon Devices: Save on. arange. ofsmart home devices, including 68% off the Echo Dot (3rd Gen), 40% off the all-new Fire TV Stick 4K Max, 50% off the Echo Show 8 (2nd Gen), and up to 35% off eero mesh wifi systems
- Anker: Save on select products, including up to 25% off cables and up to 40% off portable chargers.
- ASUS: Save up to 46% off select Chromebooks and laptops, along with up to 50% Wi-Fi routers.
- Dell: Up to 40% off selected laptops, including Alienware.
- eBay: Grab daily Black Friday deals, and exclusive eBay Plus offers.
- HP: Save up to 46% off select laptops, monitors and more.
- Lenovo: Up to 74% off selected tablets, monitors and Chromebooks.
- MSI:Save up to 40% off gaming laptops.
- Nanoleaf: Save up to 20% off on select Shapes light panels and smart bulbs.
- Philips Hue: Get up to 30% off smart lighting.
- Samsung: Up to 27% off on Samsung S7 and S7+ tablets.
- TP-Link: Save on select Wi-Fi routers.
Best Black Friday 2021 camera deals
- Save up to 60% off a massive range of camera accessories, including backpacks, tripods and more.
- Eufy: Save up to 28% on select smart home products.
- Nikon: Save on cameras and accessories
- Panasonic: Save on select cameras.
- Sandisk: Save up to 57% off on select storage devices.
Best Black Friday 2021 home and kitchen deals
- Dyson: Save $200 off the Dyson V7 Cordfree vacuum, $250 off the Dyson V10 Absolute+ vacuum,and $250 off the Dyson Outsize Absolute Extra vacuum.
- ECOVACS: Grab the ECOVACS ROBOTICS DEEBOT OZMO 950 for $497, down from $799.
- KitchenAid: Save up to 25% on selected products.
- Philips: Save on a range of kitchen and home products, including the Philips Air, the Seies 2200 Coffee Machine and the Philips Air Fryer Essential.
- I Love Linen: 30% off storewide.
Best Black Friday 2021 headphones and audio deals
- Amazon: Score $70 off the all-new Echo Buds.
- Bose: Save on select headphones and up to 33% on Bose Soundlink Revolve Speakers.
- Jabra: Save up to 33% on select noise cancelling earbuds.
- Sennheiser: Get up to 56% off on headphones.
- Ultimate Ears: Save 30% off select wireless speakers.