- Bitcoin reached another record high of $US17,580.77 per coin on Tuesday.
- The gains were fuelled in part by the launch of bitcoin futures trading on Sunday.
- The cryptocurrency has exploded in popularity, with a major proportion of its gains coming in the last three months.
- Even lesser-known cryptocurrencies – like litecoin – have seen a surge in popularity.
- Bitcoin is up 1600% so far this year. You can watch Bitcoin’s price move in real-time here>>
NOW WATCH: Money & Markets videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.