Welcome to Crypto Insider, Business Insider’s roundup of all the bitcoin and cryptocurrency news you need to know today. Sign up here to get this email delivered direct to your inbox.
Cryptocurrencies appeared to get a slight lift on Friday, paring some of their heavy losses from earlier in the week, but still ended largely in the red. Flash forward to Monday morning and the major digital coins are getting smoked yet again:
Here are the current standings:
- Bitcoin (BTC): $US7,309 (-11.7%)
- Ethereum (ETH): $US707 (-14.1%)
- Ripple (XRP): $US0.69 (-13.7%)
- Bitcoin Cash (BCC): $US930 (-19.4%)
- Litecoin (LTC): $US129 (-12.2%)
What else is happening:
- Bitcoin is down 45% this year – but that’s not what’s worrying cryptocurrency exchanges
- Cryptocurrency scams on Twitter are so common, this guy built a tool to help detect fraudsters
- This 24-year-old quit his job after making a fortune in bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies – here’s how he did it.
- Bitcoin cash fell below $US1,000 for the first time since November.
- REPORT: Lloyds Bank bans 9 million credit card customers from buying bitcoin
- This is the dark web advert a drug dealer used to sell fentanyl for bitcoin.
- Bitcoin approaches $US7,000 after 10% fall in a single day.