Welcome to Crypto Insider, Business Insider’s roundup of all the
you need to know today. Sign up
here to get this email delivered direct to your inbox.
Ethereum, now the third-largest cryptocurrency by market cap, has been on a tear in this first week of the year. The coin crossed the $US1,000 mark early Friday morning before giving up some of its gains.
Here are the current standings:
- Bitcoin (BTC): $US16,318.77 (+6.96%)
- Ripple (XRP): $US2.512 (+11.05%)
- Ethereum (ETH):$US987.33 (-8.17%)
- Bitcoin Cash (BCC): $US2,424.50 (+3.17%)
- The iced tea company that pivoted to blockchain is selling $US8.4 million worth of shares to buy bitcoin mining machines.
- Mark Zuckerberg says Facebook is looking into how it can use cryptocurrency.
- The SEC sent yet another stern warning about cryptocurrencies and ICO’s on Thursday, saying investors should “exercise caution.”
- Bitcoin is rising this morning, while Ripple’s XRP is falling, possibly due to a very public spat between a New York Times reporter and Ripple CEO Brad Garlinghouse on Twitter.
- Finally, “the year of digital is upon us,”Greenwich Associates says. Bitcoin, political gridlock, and big data are set to transform markets in 2018.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.