- A Texas man’s tweet helped drum up business for his dad’s new doughnut shop in Missouri City.
- Billy By posted photos of his dad’s empty doughnut shop on Saturday, writing that he was “sad” with the low turnout for the grand opening.
- The tweet quickly went viral, and on Sunday, Billy’s Doughnuts completely sold out of doughnuts and kolaches for the day.
A Texas community turned out to support a local doughnut business after the owner’s son tweeted about how “sad” his dad was with the low turnout for the store’s grand opening.
Saturday afternoon, Billy By tweeted photos of his dad’s empty doughnut shop, Billy’s Doughnuts, writing, “My dad is sad cause no one is coming to his new doughnut shop [crying face emoji].”
My dad is sad cause no one is coming to his new donut shop ???? pic.twitter.com/y5aGB1Acrc
— Billy's Donuts (@BillysDonuts) March 9, 2019
The tweet quickly went viral, ad has since been retweeted more than 264,000 times and liked more than 564,000 times. More than 58,000 people also started following the doughnut shop’s Instagram page.
Many Twitter users vowed to stop by Billy’s Doughnuts soon, including YouTube celebrity Casey Neistat, who shared the post and said he was on his way.
7 stores with amazing Pi Day deals
Actor James Woods shared the post as well and told his more than 2 million followers: “Come on, everybody. Let’s do this.”
— KPRC 2 Houston (@KPRC2) March 10, 2019
Later that day, By posted a new photo of him and his father grinning from behind the counter, with very few pastries in the display case.
“Just wanted to update y’all! We completely sold out of doughnuts and kolaches! You are all amazing. I can’t thank everyone enough for coming out and supporting local businesses. This means too much to my family,” By wrote.
Just wanted to update yall! We completely sold out of donuts and kolaches! You are all amazing. I can't thank everyone enough for coming out and supporting local businesses. This means so much to my family ❤️ pic.twitter.com/o3GQcKvVnG
— Billy's Donuts (@BillysDonuts) March 10, 2019
- Read more:
- Barbie is celebrating the brand’s 60th birthday by unveiling the most diverse doll collection in the brand’s history
- ‘Milk Coke’ is apparently a thing people drink, but some are conflicted
- A superfan of ‘The Office’ made the show her bridal shower theme and the photos are going viral
- A couple in Canada built the world’s largest snow maze and it’s open for visitors
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.