- Billy Bush is returning to television in a new hosting gig three years after the now-infamous “Access Hollywood” tape emerged.
- The 2005 tape jolted Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign, revealing he had boasted about groping women.
- Bush is set to anchor an entertainment and pop-culture news show called “Extra Extra” on Fox airing this fall.
- Bush told People he had used the three-year hiatus as an opportunity to reflect and grow.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
Billy Bush is set to return to television in a new hosting gig three years after he left the “Today” show in disgrace over the now-infamous “Access Hollywood” tape that surfaced during Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign.
Bush was fired after the tape leaked to news outlets, revealing that he had laughed and egged Trump on as the real-estate developer boasted about groping women’s genitals.
Bush will now anchor an entertainment and pop-culture news show called “Extra Extra” on Fox airing this fall. The show will be an updated version of the show “Extra,” hosted by Mario Lopez.
He told People in an interview he had been using the past three years to reflect and grow.
“I fell completely apart,” Bush said. “I’ve been through resentment and anger and being inconsolable. But then I realised I had an opportunity to put one foot in front of the other and get going.”
He continued: “I own the moment. It was a bad moment. And I was in it. But one moment doesn’t define your life.”
Bush first broke his silence about the “Access Hollywood” tape in a May 2017 interview with ABC’s “Good Morning America,” telling Robin Roberts he initially hadn’t taken Trump’s comments seriously and regretted that he “didn’t have the strength of character” to rebuke Trump at the time.
He has since pointed out the hypocrisy of having his television career derailed over the tape, while Trump went on to be elected president.
Bush wrote in an October post on Instagram that both “the President and my employer walked away and still haven’t accounted for their actions.”
“These past couple years have been character building to say the least – anxiety attacks, fits of rage, feelings of betrayal and abandonment – and I have concluded that I am NOT extraordinary,” he wrote. “I feel grateful to know adversity as intimately as do, and to have developed more empathy, humility and resilience.”
- Read more:
- Billy Bush on ‘Access Hollywood’ tape: ‘Yes, Donald Trump, you said that’
- Billy Bush: 7 other guys were on the bus when Trump bragged he could grab women ‘by the p—y’
- Billy Bush is gunning for a comeback after Trump scandal – here’s why he could have a chance
- Melissa McCarthy said an interviewer repeatedly asked about her ‘tremendous size’ and heavily implied it was Billy Bush
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.