We were this close to running this as our Chart of the Day today.
It’s from PIMCO chief Bill Gross’ latest letter:
During that unbearable minute-and-a-half, however, you’re likely to have covered some of the following topics:
- Where are you from? (If it’s not a place where I’ve been or have a distant second cousin – don’t care.)
- How’s the family? (If Johnnie is in advanced placement courses and my kids aren’t – don’t care. Don’t care about your kids’ soccer games either or that upcoming wedding.)
- Medical problems. (Unless you’re dying from cancer – don’t care. Your artificial hip and kidney stone stories are important only to let me tell you about mine.)
- How’s work? (Forgot where you work, but it’s a good lead in. Don’t really care though unless you can direct some business my way.)
- Can you believe Tiger? (Now there’s something I care about, but the wife is only five feet away.)
Actually, the “afterparty” is the best party of all – driving home with your partner and dissing all of the guests. Still, give me a home where Seinfeld roams, I suppose. Boring is better – cocktail parties are so 1990s.
In contrast to those cocktail parties, I’ve got so much to say in this Investment Outlook that I don’t know where to start. Don’t be lookin’ around for something more important though, like you do at a cocktail party; I need your undivided attention for the full 90 seconds allotted me.
We covered his investment outlook earlier here.