The growth of smartphones and tablets has boosted content consumption dramatically.
Importantly, mobile media consumption appears to be an additive activity — consumers access more media than they otherwise would.
In a special report from BI Intelligence, we analyse how users are consuming content on their mobile devices, and take a look at the most popular mobile activities, how people use their phones to shop, and the growth of the mobile web.
Here’s a breakdown of how mobile is impacting content consumption:
- Tablets have fuelled the continued rise of ebooks: Digital consumers read more books a year on average than their print-only counterparts, and 41% of tablet owners have use their device to access books. Tablets are a natural reading device, and ebooks are easier to browse and buy.
- One of the primary attractions of smartphones is their dual capacity as MP3 players: The percentage of all U.S. mobile users listening to music on their phones increased from 12% in September 2009 to 27% in May. Mobile digital music has not made up for the stagnant record sales, but it has helped fuelled the rise of mobile-focused music companies. Mobile now accounts for 70% of Pandor’as traffic.
- News consumption is growing enormously: The news media still has an enormous audience in the U.S. Digital news audiences grew 17% last year. Mobile readers go to news sites more often, spent more time per visit, and read more articles per visit than desktop readers.
- And mobile has helped drive an enormous amount of video consumption: Mobile users are increasingly watching longer content, not just YouTube videos. Tablets offer a better video experience, but consumers watch video on their smartphones too. Mobile video is not displacing television, but rather consumers are using their mobile devices as second (or third) screens.
- The most popular mobile activities: We take a look at usage patterns around social networking, gaming, email, weather, search, and maps.
- How people use their phones to shop: We analyse how consumers are using their mobile devices at every step of the shopping process
- The growth of the mobile web: We examine usage data of both web browsers and apps, looking at new developments and trends
- How users are consuming content on their mobile devices: We take a look at how mobile users are consuming books, video, news, and music on their mobile devices.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.