Mobile Insights is the new daily newsletter from BI Intelligence that collects and delivers the top mobile strategy news. It is delivered first thing every morning exclusively to BI Intelligence subscribers. Sign up here for a free trial of BI Intelligence today.
Study Shows iPad Dominates Tablets With 98% Of Web Traffic (Onswipe)
It’s a wonder how successful the iPad has been at capturing and owning the mobile web. Onswipe dug into some of its web data, meaning 29.5 million unique impressions from over 1,200 sites over a 7-day period (September 13-20). They discovered something astonishing: Apple’s iPad accounted for 98.1% of those millions of impressions. The numbers suggest, according to Onswipe CEP Jason L. Baptiste, that “The iPad is clearly a browsing device.” You think? It would make any company and tablet app developer think twice about ever bothering with Android tablets.Real-Time Is The Wrong Reason To Go Mobile (SAP)
Data is just like food. It is less valuable to the consumer when presented as an overwhelming buffet. It is more valuable when it’s presented:
- in manageable, high-quality portions
- in the right context
- using the right interface
- at the right-time
That’s where mobile and Big Data can combine to become a powerful duo and provide subtle right-time experiences instead of crude real-time ones.
Mobile Ads: Here’s What Works and What Doesn’t (The Wall Street Journal)
In 2010, Steve Jobs proclaimed, “Mobile advertising really sucks.” Now, however, the rule book for what works in mobile advertising is slowly being written. Here’s a look at what types of mobile ads are resonating, and which pitches are getting the thumbs down from consumers or marketers:
- Doesn’t Work: The same old Web ads plopped into a smartphone
- Doesn’t Work: Spray and pray method
- Mixed: Insertion of ads in unfamiliar places
- Works: Big, beautiful ads if used sparingly
- Works: Useful or fun ads
Some of the ingredients to success include ads that play on the unique properties of mobile gadgets, including location, or ads disguised as a game, coupon or information that consumers want.
Photo: The Wall Street Journal
Mobile Obsession Makes Workers More Productive (CIO Insight)
If there is anything we’ve learned from the smartphone craze of the last five years, it’s that living without our favourite mobile devices is nearly impossible. Not only do we get an immense amount of enjoyment from them in our personal lives, but smartphones are now must-haves in our professional lives. And with tablets making greater inroads into both the corporate and consumer world, it’ll be difficult to think of a time when we didn’t load up our mobile devices all day long. A new study from IDG Global Solutions, surveying over 21,000 people, finds that our obsession with mobile products has hit a tipping point. And companies are taking advantage of that trend by ensuring that their employees work not only during business hours, but also after. IDG also examined the willingness on the part of employees to offer up information for content, and the results, for CIOs, are not so reassuring. Click to see the slide show.
A Solid Mobile Strategy Transforms How You Stay Competitive (IBM)
With an estimated 6.5 billion connected devices around the world today, mobile is no longer a nice-to-have. According to a Gartner, CIOs identified mobile technologies as their number 2 priority, second only to analytics and business intelligence. Mobility allows organisations to create more meaningful interactions and conduct business anywhere. Success in the mobile space is about developing a strategy that fundamentally changes and creates new value in the forms of customer, employee and partner engagement. A solid mobile strategy transforms how you connect with customers and employees to stay competitive.
The Natural Way to Promote Your Mobile App (Jeffbullas)
The number of mobile apps ready for download in the App Store and the Android Marketplace currently stands at 1.1 million. Industry researchers suggest that 80% of those apps will fail to hit the 1,000 downloads mark. If you want to increase your chances of being part of the 20% that succeed, you’ll need to promote your app. Luckily, we live in the era of synergy between mobile apps and social media. If you’re looking to get in front of potential apps users, social media offers an ideal audience, matching psychographics, demographics and more. It’s no wonder that so many apps are heavily integrated with Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms. The trick is choosing the right strategy for your mobile app.
Mobile Application Security Market Set For Rapid Growth (intomobile)
The increasing number of apps and games comes with a risk. Loss, theft, spam, Trojans, spyware, data breach and aggressive advertising are some of the few threats facing vulnerable devices. According to ABI Research, between the first quarter of 2011 and the second quarter of 2012, unique malware variants grew by 2180% reaching 17,439. All this presents a fertile ground for the rise of mobile security solutions. In fact, ABI says that this market will be worth $398 million by the end of this year, with the figure including revenues for paid apps, partnerships with manufacturers and operators, white label deals, and dataset sales. To date, there have been over 130 billion downloads of mobile security apps.
FOR FUN: 10 Smartphone Habits To Avoid (CNN)
These are things you literally could not do before the www went mobile; now we’re embarrassing ourselves all over the place. Please stop:
- Anything drunk (texting, tweeting, instagraming, etc.)
- Fooling around on your phone whenever you have a spare moment
- Passive-aggressively whining for the whole world to see
- Being really, really scared to actually use the phone
- Missing your favourite band’s concert because you’re so busy taking crappy photos, etc.
- Texting salacious pictures
- Turning your friends into enemies with videos of them
- Letting your seething anger leach out into the world at large
- Texting while walking
- Using your phone in the bathroom
That last one… Just don’t. Trust me.