- Less than a day after President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign embarrassed Democratic frontrunner Joe Biden by purchasing the domain name for his Latinx rollout program, the Biden campaign responded by buying the domain name for Vamos to Victory.
- Vamos To Victory was used by the Trump campaign during a tour of several Texas cities last month where he bragged about the way his presidency has benefited Latinx communities.
- When users enter the vamostovictory.com domain now, they are redirected to the site with an image of Trump flailing his arms under large text reading: “Trump Wins We Lose.”
- The Biden campaign called the Trump campaign’s decision to purchase the Todos Con Biden domain “childish,” but then used those exact same tactics a day later.
- Isabel Aldunate, the deputy director of strategic communications of the Biden campaign, told Insider that the Trump campaign was getting a “dose of their own medicine.”
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Less than 24 hours after President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign embarrassed Democratic frontrunner Joe Biden by purchasing the domain name for his Latinx rollout program, the Biden campaign has responded with a domain hijacking of their own.
The Biden campaign announced its “Todos con Biden” initiative through a YouTube video on Tuesday but forgot to purchase the todosconbiden.com domain name or acquire the respective Twitter handle or Facebook page. Now, after members of the campaign criticised the Trump campaign for acting “childish,” the Biden campaign has gone tit for tat.
In an email sent to Insider, a spokesperson for the Biden campaign said they had purchased the domain name for vamostovictory.com. Trump used that phrase last month during a series of campaign events in Texas which was dubbed the “Vamos to Victory,” tour. That tour was, according to the Trump campaign, meant to acknowledge the benefits the Trump presidency had awarded Latinx communities. Over a month has passed since that event and apparently the Trump campaign never bothered to buy the domain. The Biden campaign bought it and now they’re using it to counter-troll Trump.
When users enter the vamostovictory.com domain now, they are redirected to a site with an image of Trump flailing his arms under large text reading: “Trump Wins We Lose.” The page is viewable in both English and Spanish and at the bottom of the page, there are multiple click-through options with major campaign issues, that when hovered over, argue how Trump’s presidency has made life worse for Latinx communities.
Not to be outmatched by Trump in the troll wars, the Biden campaign also acquired an unclaimed @Vamos to Victory Twitter handle.
The Vamos to Victory Twitter page currently has nearly a dozen posts critical of President Trump. The cover image shows a screenshot of a Univision poll that had Biden winning against Trump in a general election race by a margin of 71 to 15.
Trump campaign getting “a dose of their own medicine.”
Isabel Aldunate, the deputy director of strategic communications of the Biden campaign, told Insider that they viewed the Trump campaign’s initial decision to snatch up all things related to the Todos Con Biden as a “distraction.”
“Trump and his allies should be more focused on doing right by the Latino community and our country,” Aldunate said. “It is clear that Trump is afraid to face Vice President Biden next November because he knows Biden’s positive vision for our country will beat him like a drum.” With the hijacking of the Vamos to Victory domain, Aldunate said the Trump campaign was getting “a dose of their own medicine.”
Trump campaign communications director Tim Murtaugh downplayed the Biden canpaign’s counter attack. In an email sent to Insider, Murtaugh said the Vamos to Victory slogan was last month’s news.
“Vamos to Victory was an effort specifically for Hispanic Heritage Month, which ended last week,” Murtaugh said. “So once again the Biden campaign is late to the party. We would advise the Biden campaign to save their money, as we understand they are running low on resources.”
- Read more:
- Biden launched a Latinx outreach campaign called ‘Todos con Biden’ but forgot to register the domain name for the website. Trump grabbed it instead.
- Joe Biden has been a self-professed gaffe machine for decades but Democratic primary voters don’t seem to care, yet
- Joe Biden made a glaring gaffe and said poor kids are ‘just as smart as white kids’