- Video from the NAACP Image Awards on Saturday night showed Omari Hardwick kissing Beyoncé on the cheek twice as he greeted her.
- The video showed Hardwick kissing Beyoncé on the cheek, hugging her, and then kissing her cheek again, close to her mouth.
- People on social media criticised Hardwick’s decision to kiss Beyoncé, saying he could have given her a “respectable handshake” instead.
“Power” actor Omari Hardwick is facing backlash online after he kissed Beyoncé on the cheek twice at the NAACP Image Awards on Saturday.
Video showed that during their greeting, Hardwick kissed Beyoncé on the cheek, then hugged her, then kissed her on the cheek again, close to her mouth.
People on social media criticised Hardwick for the greeting, with one person saying a “respectable handshake” would have been better.
Another wrote, “2nd kiss was unnecessary & uncomfortable. Don’t do that again. We women so often get touched, kissed, groped & poked in instances exactly like this (at an event, at work, etc). WE DON’T LIKE IT.”
Some people said that Hardwick did not overstep any boundaries, and instead said it was just an awkward interaction.
“The video of Omari Hardwick and Beyonce is definitely awkward as hell, but I think that’s it. An awkward interaction. I don’t get what this extra stuff is all about,” wrote one Twitter user.
Another wrote, “I really gotta mute Beyoncé & Omari, y’all really be going overboard.
Beyoncé was honored with the Entertainer of the Year award at the event, beating Chadwick Boseman, LeBron James, Regina King, and Ryan Coogler.
Hardwick won an award for Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series for his role in the Starz show “Power,” beating out Jason Mitchell, Keith David, Kofi Siriboe, and Sterling K. Brown.
Meanwhile, Beyoncé’s husband Jay-Z was the recipient of the President’s Award during the ceremony.
“I grew up believing I could conquer anything because of those strong women in my house,” he said in a speech at the event,Complex reported. “I would like to dedicate this award to those beautiful women. I’d like to dedicate this award to a beautiful woman in my life Ms. Beyoncé.”
- Read more:
- The artist who created the portrait of Meghan Markle as Queen said he had no idea Beyoncé and Jay-Z were planning to use it in their BRIT Awards acceptance speech
- Beyoncé and Jay-Z ‘bowed down’ to a regal portrait of Meghan Markle when accepting their BRIT Award
- I learned how to dance like Beyoncé from her choreographer and it was surprisingly difficult
- Norwegian authorities are investigating allegations that Tidal’s streaming numbers for Beyonce and Kanye West albums were inflated
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.