- Beyoncé and Jay-Z made a surprise appearance at the 2020 Golden Globes despite skipping the red carpet, shocking viewers at home.
- The power couple gave Ellen DeGeneres a standing ovation as she received the Carol Burnett award.
- Reporters spotted Beyoncé and Jay-Z walking into the show just as Kate McKinnon was presenting the award to the comedian.
- Los Angeles Times reporter Amy Kaufman also noticed that Jay-Z’s bodyguard was holding two bottles of champagne for the couple, which appeared to be from his own brand.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Beyoncé hasn’t been to the Golden Globes for more than 10 years.
So viewers at home were more than a little surprised when she suddenly appeared on their television screens on Sunday night.
Just as Ellen DeGeneres headed to the stage to accept the Carol Burnett award, Beyoncé and her husband Jay-Z could be seen standing up and clapping.
— Dave Quinn (@NineDaves) January 6, 2020
Fans quickly took to Twitter to express their shock, almost wondering if they had seen a mirage.
— Shadé (@shadeyxo) January 6, 2020
Wait when did Beyoncé and Jay Z sneak into the room??? #GoldenGlobes
— Mary Wilson (@TheeMaryWilson) January 6, 2020
— Entertainment Tonight (@etnow) January 6, 2020
But Beyoncé was in fact at the show, rocking a black gown with large puffy golden sleeves.
She was later seen sitting down, with Jay-Z alongside her, and smiling during the show.
The star arrived at the show at the beginning of Ellen’s tribute award, according to Variety’s Ramin Setoodeh.
Beyoncé and Jay-Z (standing) have arrived at the #GoldenGlobes at the beginning of the Ellen tribute award. They were able to take their seats after Kate McKinnon’s introduction. pic.twitter.com/2tgi4DVCzl
— Ramin Setoodeh (@RaminSetoodeh) January 6, 2020
Los Angeles Times reporter Amy Kaufman also spotted the power couple entering the show, and noticed that their bodyguard appeared to be carrying two bottles of alcohol.
— Amy Kaufman (@AmyKinLA) January 6, 2020
Twitter commenters noted that the bottles appeared to be Ace of Spades champagne, which is partially owned by Jay-Z.
It was actually revealed on the Golden Globes Instagram live feed that Beyoncé was going to be seated at DeGeneres’ table on Sunday night.
“Ellen DeGeneres is getting the Carol Burnett award and we always want to make sure people are sitting together that like each other, she picked Beyoncé as her guest,” said a Golden Globes spokeswoman.
Beyoncé was also a nominee this year, receiving her second Golden Globes nomination for best original song with the tune “Spirit” for “The Lion King.”
The last time Beyoncé was nominated, in 2009, was also the last time she appeared at the Golden Globes.
Beyoncé and Jay-Z did not walk the red carpet this year, leading many fans to believe they had decided to skip the show.
But their appearance on Sunday has clearly excited fans.
— E! News (@enews) January 6, 2020
— Gibson Johns (@gibsonoma) January 6, 2020
- Read more:
- Billy Porter looked like an angel at the 2020 Golden Globes wearing a white suit with a feather train that zips off
- Jennifer Lopez looked like a walking gift at the Golden Globes in a dress covered with oversized bows
- Ricky Gervais kicks off the Golden Globes with a wild introduction that essentially told Hollywood to f— off
- All the looks celebrities wore to the 2020 Golden Globes
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.