- Insider has rounded up the top tips for transforming your bedroom into a relaxing and trendy space.
- Declutter your room and research design trends before diving in.
- There are ways to upgrade your space on a budget, like thrifting and DIY tricks.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
You probably spend a lot of time in your bedroom, so it’s important for it to feel comfortable and stylish. But when it comes to upgrading your space, it can get overwhelming and be difficult to know where to start.
Fortunately, with tips from the pros, you can figure out your design style, create a budget that works for you, and find the perfect pieces for your dream bedroom.
Start by cleaning out your current space and deciding on your needs
From wall decor to extra pillows, clutter can leave your space feeling shabby and stressful, so it’s important to get rid of the old before bringing in the new.
Your bedroom should be a place of rest and relaxation, but open shelving and clunky knickknacks can be overwhelming to look at. Plus displaying old keepsakes can make your room feel like a relic of the past instead of a space you’ve grown into.
Once you’ve decluttered your room, you can then accurately evaluate exactly what pieces you’ll need to elevate your living space.
- Interior designers reveal the 10 things in your bedroom you should get rid of
- Interior designers reveal 10 things you should get rid of to create a more peaceful space
- Interior designers share their easy tips for turning your childhood bedroom into a grown-up space
- Therapists share 3 things in your bedroom that may be causing you stress and how to fix them
Look for inspiration before deciding on a style
Bedrooms are often heavily inspired by one’s own taste, but they can also go with certain popular styles like mid-century modern – filled with geometric shapes, sleek lines, and an emphasis on functionality – or maximalism – focused on over-the-top spaces that pack a punch.
In some cases, it can be helpful to look to influencers, characters on TV, and people in your life who share your style for ideas. You can also get inspired by the most popular trends of the year, just make sure you actually like them.
- Interior designers share 5 bedroom trends that’ll be huge in 2021, and 5 that will be out
- Interior designers share 10 affordable ways to make your space look mid-century modern
- Why maximalism is the perfect decor trend for people living in small spaces
It doesn’t have to be an expensive process, but it’s important to consider your budget
Things like new furniture, artwork, and paint jobs can easily eat away at your budget, but according to professional interior designers, changing up your bedroom doesn’t have to be expensive.
Rearranging pieces you already have, shopping for new-to-you items at thrift stores, and getting rid of things that no longer suit the space can all make a big difference for cheap (or free).
For example, designers even told Insider that they wouldn’t spend more than $25 on heavily trafficked rugs, plants, or pillow covers.
- Interior designers reveal the 8 things you should always buy at the thrift store
- Interior designers share 13 things you should always spend less than $25 on
- Interior designers share 10 ways to make your bedroom look better for free
- A designer transformed a $179 Ikea table for $15, and the upgrade looks shockingly similar to an iconic, $4,000, mid-century table
Take your time finding the right pieces you’ll love long-term
Designing the perfect space comes with finding the right pieces, and creating that collection can take time. Don’t feel like you need to flip your bedroom in the span of days or weeks and be patient to find furniture that you’ll genuinely love in the long run.
Also, research the best techniques to make your investments last, as simple mistakes like overcleaning or placing real plants on wooden pieces can quickly erode your furniture.
- Interior designers reveal 9 affordable tricks to make your home look more expensive
- Interior designers reveal the 10 things worth splurging on in a home
- When buying that first home, it’s important to think about what furniture is worth investing in
- Experts reveal 7 surprising ways you’re ruining your furniture
Make the most of your space or have it appear even larger with a few designer-approved tricks
Whether you have a little bit of space or a giant bedroom, you want to make the most of what you’ve got. For starters, designers recommend you avoid cluttering your room with too much furniture and avoid picking out pieces that are too big for your space.
If you’re working with a smaller space, there are a few designer-approved tricks you can use to make it seem bigger. For example, hang your window treatments much higher than where your window actually is to give the illusion of taller ceilings. Things like eye-level artwork, mirrors, and vertical shelving can also visually expand your space.
- Interior designers share 8 ways to make a room look bigger without spending money
- How to make the most out of your small space, according to experts
There are plenty of simple ways to keep your space fresh even as trends fade
Bedroom features like accent walls and matching nightstand lamps may be on their way out of style, according to interior designers, but you don’t have to stay on the cutting edge of trends to put together a fresh, comfortable space.
Finding a style or mix of aesthetics that you actually like and buying furniture and decorations that fit comfortably in the space is more important than filling your bedroom with the latest trends.
When you feel like it’s time for something new, you can always start by making changes to small things, like bedspreads and lighting, to refresh the room.