Celebrating its 50th birthday this year, the University of California, Irvine is the best young university in America, according to a new ranking from Times Higher Education (THE).
THE’s “100 Under 50 Rankings” charts the top universities founded in the past 50 years. The list, according to THE, “provides a glimpse into the future, showcasing not those institutions with centuries of history, but the rising stars which show great potential.”
For their ranking, THE focuses on five areas — teaching, research, citations, international outlook, and innovation.
This year, seven American schools made the cut, including two from the University of California system. Check out the top American universities founded in the last 50 years:
- University of California, Irvine
- University of California, Santa Cruz
- The University of Texas at Dallas
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- George Mason University
- University of Maryland, Baltimore County
- Florida International University
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.