- While the unemployment rate in the US has started to improve since the coronavirus pandemic hit, it remained high in May at 13.3%.
- While women have been hit harder than men by job losses, many families are likely struggling financially since two-thirds of families rely on two incomes.
- WalletHub, a website that provides free credit reports, ranked the best states for working dads in 2020.
- Massachusetts ranked No. 1 on the list.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The coronavirus pandemic has devastated the US job market. While it seems the worst of it may have passed (for now), job losses have disproportionately affected different demographics. Women and minorities have been hit especially hard.
While men are less likely to be laid off than women, that still means that many families will face financial struggles. Two-thirds of family households depend on two incomes.
Many working dads are likely in a more auspicious position that working mothers, who earn less money once they start having children. But some US states offer better opportunities than others for fathers who work outside of the home.
To get a sense of which states will provide the best options for working dads in 2020, WalletHub ranked them based on a variety of factors. It took 23 indicators into account, including average length of work day for men, child-care costs, and general health of men in the state.
Below are the 10 best states for dads to work in 2020.
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- Rhode Island
- New Hampshire
- North Dakota
- Read more:
- Parents are watching kids in shifts and sharing caregivers as schools shut down across the US due to coronavirus fears
- My boss told me having children would jeopardize my career. That’s illegal, but it still happens to women all the time
- Elizabeth Warren got fired when she was 6 months pregnant, and mums around the US say the scenario is maddeningly familiar
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.