Last night, David Letterman celebrated 20 years as the host of “The Late Show”
with a visit from his first-ever guest, Bill Murray.
More than anything, Letterman’s late-night show is known for its Top 10 lists. In honour of 20 years of Letterman, we decided to pull together our own Top 10 list of Letterman’s Top 10 lists.
To compile the ranked list, we took into consideration top-viewed lists from YouTube and talked-about lists across the Internet. We also looked at prior anniversary lists from Letterman himself.
We also turned to CBS’ archives of top 10 lists dating back to mid-2000. Not all of our selections have video.
Without further ado, these are the lists that had us laughing the hardest:
10. Top 10 Reasons I’m glad to be named Justin Bieber
Air date: November 3, 2010
A man from Jacksonville, Florida named Justin Bieber came on the “” show to present.
9. Top 10 Things I Have Learned Working For “The Late Show”
Air date: August 28, 2003
10. “Most of audience — prison inmates”
(Line Producer, Kathy Mavrikakis)
9. “That moron couldn’t remember his name if it wasn’t on cue cards”
(Cue Cards, Tony Mendez)
8. “I have utterly and completely wasted my life”
(Associate Producer, Nancy Agostini)
7. “Jennifer Lopez is a hellcat in bed”
(Film Coordinator, Rick Scheckman)
6. “The hours may be long, but the money sucks”
(Make Up Artist, Michele O’Callaghan)
5. “We really are a family, and Dave is the crazy uncle everyone is hoping will be put in a home”
(Writer, Gerard Mulligan)
4. “You don’t need good looks or talent to get your own show”
(Stage Manager, Biff Henderson)
3. “When Regis calls, Dave’s in a meeting”
(Executive Assistant to David Letterman, Laurie Diamond)
2. “All kidding aside, Dave really is an arse****”
(Executive Producer, Jude Brennan)
1. “It’s much easier if I just tell people I work for Leno”
(Musical Director, Paul Shaffer)
8. Ricky Gervais shares the Top 10 Stupid Things Americans Say To Brits
Air date: November 3, 2008
“Do you know the Queen?”
7. Robert De Niro and Al Pacino’s Top 10 Reasons I Like Being An Actor
Air date: September 2008
6. Top 10 Ways The Show Has Changed Since 1993.
Air date: August 28, 2009
10. Now do the bulk of my drinking after the show
9. People used to pretend to like me. Now they pretend to tolerate me
8. Global warming has raised theatre temperature to 38 degrees
7. I lost 280 pounds with Deal-a-Meal
6. Crazy lady we used to piss off: Madonna. Now crazy lady we piss off: Sarah Palin
5. Audience is here to see if I drop dead on stage
4. Dwindling amount of hate mail; burgeoning amount of hate e-mail
3. Every 10 minutes someone is dropping a flashlight
2. Used to talk with sexiest women in the world. Now I interview Artie Lange
1. Emmy Awards replaced with Fire Dave rallies
5. Top 10 President Obama Excuses
Air date: October 5, 2012
4. Top 10 Things Never Before Said on “The Sopranos” as presented by the cast.
Air date: n/a
“You don’t have the money? That’s cool.”
3. Barack Obama delivers his Top 10 Campaign Promises
Air date: January 2008
2. Top 10 List of Top 10 Favourite California Names
Air date: May 7, 1996
To present this, Letterman had the actual California residents read off their name and show their licenses to prove it. This is great because as the names get worse and worse, Letterman’s crew continues to cut to a woman in the audience clearly bothered by the vulgarities.
1. Top 10 George Bush Moments
Air date: n/a
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.