- Atlantic Fish Co. in Boston is famous for its clam chowder.
- The restaurant won awards such as Chowderfest and was ranked one of USA Today’s top 10 chowders in all of Massachusetts.
- Herrine Ro and Emily Christian visit the restaurant to see how it’s made and taste the famed clam chowder.
Following is a transcript of the video.
– That’s good stuff.
– So Atlantic Fish Company has been a staple at the Back Bay since the late ’70s. Fresh seafood, fresh oysters, lots of clam chowder.
Customer: Well, I come here ’cause this feels really fresh and clean even though it’s kind of that rich, heavy, creamy one.
Danny: There’s definitely a rich history when it comes to this soup. Originally in France, they would make it basically as a base, and they would add whatever shellfish or finfish into the soup and call it a cauldron. Immigrants came to Nova Scotia, and the Nova Scotia Canadians came down to the New England area, and that’s where the soup originated from. And since we have the best clams in the world, it just makes this dish so much better.
– Been doing this for about 10 years now. That’s when we originally came up with it. We haven’t changed it a bit since.
[Producer off camera]: Is there anything in your clam chowder that makes it different from all the other ones?
– Um, probably this. This here. Most people use clam bases because this is very labour-intensive process to poach the clams, reduce the broth, take the clam meat, and chop it up. You have to squeeze out the innards so your chowder stays nice and white. It’s a very labour-intensive thing. But when you have passion for the chowder, it’s worth it.Joe: So our chowder has won Chowderfest, ranked one of USA Today’s top 10 chowders in all of Massachusetts, as well as best chowder in Boston.
– The brininess of the clams still comes through in this chowder, and I think the reason why that is, is because they make the clam broth in-house.
– You can taste the freshness. It’s like you instantly know these clams came from this area.
– If you’re paying for a bowl of clam chowder, it shouldn’t be more of a potato chowder. It should have a lot of clams, and for this, you are getting a lot of clams in your chowder, so the money is worth it. It’s not super overpoweringly creamy and rich.
Emily: Mmmm. Ooh. Is there Tabasco? Oh, there it is.
– I’m done.
– I think we have the perfect balance, and then when you put it inside a bread bowl.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.