- The average driver in South Carolina pays $US922 per year for car insurance coverage, making this state fairly consistent with the national average of $US935 per year.
- Shopping around for coverage is the best way to save. Insurance companies look at a variety of factors to determine a rate, and each one weighs them differently. Get quotes from several different companies and compare them to make sure you’re getting the best deal.
- In South Carolina, the best cheap car insurance generally comes from USAA at all credit levels, with more affordable coverage from State Farm for drivers with good or better credit, and GEICO for drivers with poor credit.
- Read more personal finance coverage.
Car insurance pricing in South Carolina is fairly consistent with the national average of $US935 per year. The average South Carolina driver spends about $US922 per year on car insurance, according to the Insurance Information Institute.
As you’re shopping for car insurance coverage, you might notice that prices vary widely. Each car insurance company prices their premiums differently, weighing a variety of factors that influence your cost of coverage. Things like your age, gender, years of driving experience, and more can all influence the price you’ll pay for coverage.
And that said, it’s important to compare prices and policies to save. You’ll want to get quotes from several different companies and compare them to make sure that you’re getting the best price for you. To help you get started with your shopping, these companies offer the best prices in South Carolina.
Who has the best cheap car insurance in South Carolina?
Consumer Reports gathered premium pricing formulas from every car insurance company in each state. It found that three companies came out on top for three tiers of credit. Here are the average premiums the data shows for the typical single adult driver.
Drivers with good credit, or FICO scores between 670 and 739, will find that their best options are USAA and State Farm, on average:
- USAA car insurance: $US907 per year
- State Farm car insurance: $US1,228 per year
- GEICO car insurance: $US1,367 per year
People with excellent FICO scores above 800 can expect to see some of the lowest rates, on average:
- USAA car insurance: $US796 per year
- State Farm mutual car insurance: $US1,020 per year
- Amica car insurance: $US1,172 per year
Drivers with poor FICO scores below 579 will pay the most for car insurance, on average. Here are the three most affordable companies for this credit range:
- USAA car insurance: $US2,071 per year
- GEICO car insurance: $US2,219 per year
- State Farm car insurance: $US2,237 per year
Who gets the best cheap car insurance in South Carolina?
As the numbers above show, the drivers with the best credit scores are likely to see the lowest costs of coverage. Raising your credit score could be a big help in lowering your rate. But, with so many factors going into your costs for coverage and each insurance company weighing those factors differently, the best way to get a good deal is to shop around.
To do this, you’ll want to get quotes from several different companies. Once you have several quotes, compare them, and don’t just focus on the premium – the amount you pay for your policy. You’ll want to look for the policy that gives you the most coverage types and limits for your money. Also, look at the deductible, or the amount you’ll be responsible for paying if you get into an accident. The policy with the most coverage, the lowest deductible, and the most affordable premium is generally the best policy for you.
- More personal finance coverage
- 4 reasons to open a high-yield savings account while interest rates are down
- It took less than 10 minutes to open a high-yield cash account with Wealthfront and earn more on my savings
- How to buy a house with no money down
- When to save money in high-yield savings
- Best rewards credit cards
- 7 reasons you may need life insurance, even if you think you don’t
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.