- The average driver in Pennsylvania pays about $US918 per year for car insurance coverage, according to the Insurance Information Institute.
- Rates vary by person and are based on a number of factors, including your credit score.
- The best cheap car insurance in Pennsylvania is generally found through USAA or Erie Exchange for drivers with good or better credit, and Nationwide for drivers with poor credit.
- Shopping around is essential, and can help you get the best coverage for your money. Compare quotes to get the best deal for you.
- Read more personal finance coverage.
Car insurance in Pennsylvania isn’t incredibly expensive, with the average driver paying about $US918 per year for coverage, according to the Insurance Information Institute.
But, auto insurance rates can vary widely by person, or even be very different for the same person between companies.
To get your best deal on car insurance, the most important thing you can do is shop around. Each auto insurance company prices your premium, or the amount you’ll pay for coverage, differently according to a variety of factors. Things like your gender, age, credit score, and the type of car you drive can all play a role in the price you pay.
Who has the best cheap car insurance in Pennsylvania?
Consumer Reports collected car insurance pricing data and formulas from every company offering car insurance in every state. With this data, it calculated which companies offered the best prices for the average single driver in each state. Here are the three companies the data found had the best price for each state by credit type, along with each company’s average premium for a single adult driver.
Drivers with good credit (FICO scores between 670 to 739) should try these three companies for their car insurance coverage (average rates are listed):
- USAA car insurance: $US960 per month
- Erie Exchange car insurance: $US1,016 per month
- Nationwide car insurance: $US1,113 per month
Drivers with excellent credit (scores above 800 according to FICO) will see some of the best prices for auto insurance. These three companies offer competitive average prices:
- USAA car insurance: $US834 per month
- Erie Exchange car insurance: $US913 per month
- State Farm car insurance: $US934 per month
Drivers with poor credit scores, or FICO scores below 579, will see some of the higher costs for coverage, on average.
- Nationwide car insurance: $US1,399 per month
- USAA car insurance: $US1,449 per month
- State Farm car insurance: $US2,149 per month
Who gets the best car insurance in Pennsylvania?
As the prices above indicate, drivers with good credit scores will get the best prices. There are several other factors that go into the price you’ll pay for car insurance, including the type of car you drive and where you live in the state.
Given that all of these factors are weighted differently by each company, there’s an opportunity to save by shopping around. You’ll want to get quotes from several different companies and compare them. Look for the policy that has the most coverage types and the highest limits, and also look for the deductible, or the amount you’ll pay out of pocket if you get into an accident.
There’s a lot that goes into the price you’ll see on your insurance policy, so it’s worth shopping around to see who will give you the most coverage for the least money.
- More personal finance coverage
- What’s the best airline credit card?
- The best cash back credit cards
- Are CDs a good investment?
- When to save money in high-yield savings
- Best rewards credit cards
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.