- The travel website, The Points Guy, recently released a ranking of the 15 best airports in America
- By looking at amenities, accessibility, and timeliness, The Points Guy was able to compile a report that ranked airports based on aspects that are most important to travellers.
- Using data collected from the Department of Transportation, the airports themselves, and third parties, The Points Guys ranked America’s 15 best and 15 worst airports and aspects like timeliness of arrivals and departures, number of lounges, restaurant and shopping options, and transportation costs.
- PhoenixSky Harbour International Airport was voted the nation’s best airport by the editors for the second time in a row.
Travelling isn’t for everybody, but there are those who absolutely love going through different airports and experiencing all the unique offerings of various terminals.
The travel website, The Points Guy, recently released a ranking of the 15 best airports in America. Using data collected from the Department of Transportation, the airports themselves, and third parties, The Points Guys ranked America’s 15 best and 15 worst airports and aspects like timeliness of arrivals and departures, number of lounges, restaurants and shopping options, and transportation costs.
By looking at amenities, accessibility, and timeliness, The Points Guy was able to compile a report that ranked airports based on aspects that are most important to travellers.
Anyone who has passed through Washington Dulles International Airport knows it is a gigantic airport with multiple restaurants, bars, and shops-it is ranked first in The Points Guy’s “amenities” category and also was the “Most Improved” airport from the 2016 rankings.
Phoenix Sky Harbour International Airport was voted the nation’s best airport by the editors for the second time in a row.
The Points Guy editors write that Sky Harbour, “didn’t come in first in any one category but made strong showings in nearly all of them, including being easily reached by car or bus, having cheap parking, negligible wait times at security compared to other airports and respectably low delay and cancellation rates (though it could use more lounges for its size).”
Take a look below for photos of the 15 best airports in America.
15. Chicago Midway International Airport
Midway Airport in Chicago is the world’s busiest square mile for incoming and departing flights and includes a Yoga Room and a Mother’s Room for nursing.
Source: Fly Chicago
14. Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport
Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport has a 1.4-mile walking path in Terminal 1, two aviation-inspired playgrounds for kids, and stores that feature locally made leather goods and jewellery.
Source: Explore Minnesota
13. Daniel K. Inouye International Airport in Honolulu
The Honolulu International Airport was named after the late U.S. Senator, Daniel Inouyre, in May 2017.
Source: KHON-2 Fox
12. Miami International Airport
Miami International Airport is built over 3,230 acres of land, generates $US30.9 billion annually for Miami-Dadte country and is the top-ranking U.S. airport for international freight and cargo.
Source: Miami Airport
11. Las Vegas McCarran International Airport
Renaming McCarran International Airport in honour of former U.S. Senator Harry Reid was recently considered at a Clark County Commission meeting.
Source: ABC 13
10. Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
There are over 1oo shops and restaurants at Ronald Reagan National Airport.
Source: Fly Reagan
9. George H.W. Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston
George Bush Intercontinental Airport, named after the 41st President, is only 23 miles north of downtown area of Houston, Texas.
Source: Houston Airport
8. Washington-Dulles International Airport
In addition to four runways, Dulles Airport has 139 airline gates and 13,000 square feet of retail space in Concourse B alone.
Source: Fly Dulles
7. Philadelphia International Airport
The Philadelphia Airport covers 2,302 acres and has four runways.
Source: Airport IQ
6. Charlotte Douglas International Airport
Charlotte Douglas had 705 daily departures in April 2018 and has nonstop service to 173 destinations
Source: CLT Airport
5. Tampa International Airport
The Tampa International Airport features a public art program that includes a gallery and public art collection.
Source: Tampa Airport
4. San Diego International Airport
A $US3 billion dollar renovation and makeover has recently been proposed for the San Diego International Airport.
Source: San Diego Union Tribune
3. Portland International Airport
There is a live music program at the Portland International Airport, as every day musicians perform in the terminals in-front of travellers.
Source: Fly PDX
2. Salt Lake City International Airport
Located five miles from downtown, the Salt Lake City International Airport has two terminals, 71 gates and four runways.
1. Phoenix Sky Harbour International Airport
This is the second time the Phoenix Sky Harbour International Airport has been named the best airport in the U.S. by The Points Guy, due mainly to its accesibility and low delay and cancellation rates.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.