Republican Sen. Ben Sasse of Nebraska tweeted out a photo of him with two fellow senators that is quickly going viral, joking that it looks as if they’re smoking marijuana outside of a wedding.
The photo featured Sasse, in basketball shorts and a t-shirt, sitting near the US Capitol chatting with Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, a New York Democrat, who sported an unbuttoned shirt with his tie undone and his hair blowing in the wind, and GOP Sen. Tom Cotton of Arkansas, still in his full suit.
“Holy moly,” Sasse tweeted. “It looks like @SenSchumer and I are smoking reefer outside a wedding…”
Schumer responded shortly after, saying “well that escalated quickly,” taking a line from Will Ferrell’s early 2000s comedy “Anchorman.”
The Twitter account @darth edited the photo to show Schumer actually holding a “joint” — a marijuana cigarette.
“I thought we were off the record,” Sasse tweeted.
Here are the tweets:
More from Allan Smith:
- ‘Total nonsense’: Legal experts debunk ‘uninformed’ theory that Comey could be subject to legal jeopardy for withholding memo
- David Clarke just said he accepted a prominent role in Trump’s administration — here’s how he rode the Trump wave to stardom
- Trump goes off script during Coast Guard commencement speech: ‘No politician’ has been ‘treated worse or more unfairly’ than me
- The Republican wall around Trump is starting to crack
- POLL: Here’s how top 2020 Democratic challengers stack up against Trump
holy moly – it looks like @SenSchumer and I are smoking reefer outside a wedding…
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.