On Monday afternoon police shot dead Younes Abouyaaqoub, the man they say was responsible for almost all of the deaths in the terror attack on Barcelona, Spain.
He was the 12th man on their list of major suspects — and the last one to be captured or killed. Police confirmed on Tuesday that eight of the men they were hunting are now dead, while four are under arrest.
The Mossos d’Esquadra, the Catalan police force leading the counter-terror operation, said that even though the immediate manhunt is over, their investigation continues. In court today, one suspect said they were planning a far larger attack.
Here’s what we know about the 12 men linked to Europe’s latest major terror atrocity:
Abouyaaqoub, a 22-year-old Moroccan, was killed by armed Spanish police officers in a vineyard near Barcelona four days after the attack.
He was named earlier that day as the man police believe drove the van down Las Ramblas, meaning he was responsible for 13 of the 15 deaths in the attacks.
A 14th person was stabbed to death in Barcelona after the initial van ramming. It is not known if Abouyaaqoub was responsible. The 15th death came during a related incident in Cambrils, a coastal town close to Barcelona, when suspects drove a car into pedestrians.
Officers said Abouyaaqoub was wearing what looked like an explosive belt when he was shot and killed, bringing the Barcelona manhunt to an end.
Houssaine Abouyaaqoub, Omar Hychami, Mohamed Hychami, Moussa Oukabir, and Said Aalla -- shot dead in Cambrils, August 17.
Five men were killed in Cambrils, a coastal city in Catalonia, hours after the Barcelona attack on Thursday.
Police shot dead five men in who were driving in an Audi A3, which crashed into smaller crowds. The car had an axe and knives inside.
At least one of the attackers then stabbed a woman, who became the final casualty of the attacks when she died of her wounds the next day. Video footage showed one of the men being shot by police in a late-night stand-off.
The brother of Driss Oukabir, who was arrested. Driss has claimed that Moussa stole his ID to rent the truck used in the attack.
Omar Hychami, 21 and Mohamed Hychami, 24
The brothers were confirmed dead by their mother. In an interview, reported by The Times newspaper, Halima Hychami, speaking specifically about Mohamed, said: 'I feel sorry for my son, but more sorry for the others who died because of what he did.'
Houssaine Abouyaaqoub, 19
He has the same surname as Younes Abouyaaqoub, but it is not clear whether the men are related.
Said Aalla, 18
Aallaa was confirmed dead by his father, who gave an interview to The Times in which he blamed imam Abdelbaki Es Satty (see below) for corrupting his son.
Police arrested four men they say are connected to the attack.
They were all arrested on Friday August 18, the day after the attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils.
The men appeared at a court hearing, which was closed to the public, early on Tuesday morning. They are:
Driss Oukabir, 27
Oukabir was the first man named in connection with the attack, after police found his passport at the scene.
According to Reuters, he handed himself into police in the town of Ripoll after seeing his name in the media, and says he is innocent.
He reportedly claimed that his brother Moussa Oukabir had stolen his passport to rent the van used in the attack. Moussa, who is dead, is also on the list of suspects.
Mohammed Aalla, 27
Aalla is the owner of the Audi A3 which was used in the Cambrils attack, though he was not inside at the time of the attack. Two of his brothers are also on the list of subjects.
Sahal el Karib, 34
Reuters, citing La Vanguardia newspaper in Spain, described Karib as the owner of an internet café in Ripoll, the town where he, Oukabir, and Alla were arrested. The café was allegedly used to wire money from Spain to Morocco.
Mohamed Houli Chemlal, 20
Chemlal was arrested in Alcanar, where a house exploded on Wednesday morning. Police believe the explosion was an accident triggered during preparations for a more deadly 'Plan A' version of the Barcelona attacks using gas canisters.
According to Reuters, he was hurt in the explosion and taken into custody once the attacks had happened. Judicial sources told the news agency that in court on Tuesday he said the men were plotting a far larger attack, using explosives.
Youssef Aalla and Abdelbaki Es Satty — believed to have been killed in Alcanar house explosion, August 16.
The day before the Barcelona attacks, a house exploded in Alcanar, Catalonia.
Initially, authorities assumed it was a gas leak, but after the terror attacks began to unfold the explosion added as a separate strand of the investigation.
On Sunday police announced that they had found remains of what they believe are two bodies in the rubble of the home. Their suggested identities are:
Abdelbaki Es Satty, 45
According to the Daily Telegraph newspaper, imam Es Satty was one of the men killed in the explosion, and had been involved in planning the attack.
It reported that Es Satty had served a prison sentence for drugs smuggling. Spanish authorities are said to have tried to deport Es Satty, a Moroccan, but he won the right to stay on human rights grounds.
Youssef Aallaa, 18
Media including the Guardian have named Aalla, the brother of Said Aallaa (above) as one of the men killed in the explosion.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.