- Brad Pitt’s BAFTA acceptance speech on Sunday included a joke about Prince Harry, and Kate Middleton and Prince William were seen laughing in the audience.
- Margot Robbie, who read the speech for best supporting actor on Pitt’s behalf, said Pitt “is going to name this [award] Harry because he is really excited about bringing it back to the States with him.”
- Harry and Meghan Markle announced early last month that they would step back from the royal family and spend time in North America.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Though Pitt wasn’t able to attend the 73rd EE British Academy Film Awards at London’s Royal Albert Hall on Sunday evening, Margot Robbie was there to accept his award for best supporting actor.
Reading Pitt’s speech on his behalf, Robbie joked that Pitt “is going to name this [award] Harry because he is really excited about bringing it back to the States with him.”
The camera then panned to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, who laughed awkwardly along with the audience.
It’s the first time William and Middleton have publicly acknowledged Harry and Meghan Markle’s decision to leave their home in the UK as part of their “step back” from the royal family.
The couple ignored questions about Harry and Markle at an engagement earlier in January, according to Emily Andrews, a royal correspondent.
Pitt also made a joke about Brexit and his divorce from Angelina Jolie in the acceptance speech Robbie read: “Hey, Britain. Heard you just became single. Welcome to the club. Wishing you the best with the divorce settlement.”
The Duchess of Cambridge adhered to the “sustainable fashion” theme of the evening by wearing a gold-and-white Alexander McQueen dress that she was first photographed in during a visit to Malaysia in 2012. Attendees had been asked to rent clothes, buy a vintage ensemble, or wear something they already owned.
- Read more:
- Kate Middleton rewore a white and gold Alexander McQueen gown from 2012 to the 2020 BAFTAs
- The best-dressed celebrity couples at the 2020 BAFTAs
- Meghan Markle’s departure from the royal family means it’s Kate Middleton’s ‘time to shine,’ according to a royal expert
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.