“Bachelor in Paradise” contestant DeMario Jackson issued his first statement Wednesday since he was accused of sexual misconduct involving another participant on the show.
In the statement, Jackson called the accusations an assassination of his character with “false claims and malicious allegations” and said he will be seeking legal counsel.
“It’s unfortunate that my character and family name has been assassinated this past week with false claims and malicious allegations,” Jackson said in a statement to E! News. “I will be taking swift and appropriate legal action until my name is cleared and, per the advice of legal counsel, will be seeking all available remedies entitled to me under the laws.”
The statement was released just hours after “Bachelor In Paradise” contestant Corinne Olympios, the reported victim of the alleged sexual misconduct, announced that she has hired famed attorney Marty Singer to represent her.
The incident reportedly occurred early last week on the show’s first day of taping. Sources have told news outlets that production was suspended after producers filmed a sexual encounter between Jackson (“The Bachelorette” season 13) and Olympios (“The Bachelor” season 21) while she was too drunk to give proper consent.
ABC and producer Warner Horizon have confirmed that an investigation into “allegations of misconduct” is in progress. It was reportedly the result of a “third-party complaint” filed by a show producer. But neither ABC nor Warner Horizon has confirmed that this season of the show has been canceled.
“Bachelor in Paradise,” a summer spin-off of ABC’s long-running “The Bachelor” franchise, has aired for three seasons. It features eliminated contenders from the franchise who are secluded at a beautiful destination and gives them another chance at romance.
NOW WATCH: Everything you need to know about Corinne Olympios — the newest villain on ‘The Bachelor’
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.