- Season 19 “The Bachelor” contestant Jade Roper-Tolbert appears to have won $US1,000,000 playing DraftKings during this weekend’s NFLplayoffs.
- Some Twitter users are questioning whether Roper-Tolbert colluded with her husband to maximise her DraftKings entries and give her an unfair advantage on the gambling site.
- Still, the replies to Roper’s announcement were overwhelmingly positive, and even her DraftKings opponent appeared to hop in on the Twitter buzz surrounding her big win.
- Christian Serino tweeted his congratulations to Roper and shared her lineup, which featured Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson, New Orleans Saints running back Alvin Kamara, and Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Adam Thielen, among others.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
It’s not often that the NFL and “The Bachelor” fandoms collide, but this Sunday, the improbable became reality.
Season 19 “The Bachelor” contestant and season 2 “Bachelor in Paradise” winner Jade Roper – now Jade Roper-Tolbert – appears to have won a whopping $US1 million playing daily fantasy football during Sunday’s NFL playoff games.
One Twitter user – a self-proclaimed “daily sports junkie” named Alex Baker – saw Jade’s name atop the winners list on DraftKings’ app and shared a screenshot with his nearly 19,000 followers on the site. He claimed to have recognised Roper’s name “because my girlfriend forces me to watch it.”
I’m pretty sure this girl was on The Bachelor. I only know this because my girlfriend forces me to watch it. pic.twitter.com/fkONNR3V99
— Alex Baker (@AwesemoDFS) January 6, 2020
Roper later confirmed that she was the recipient of the massive haul by quoting Baker’s tweet. She added that her husband, Tanner – whom she met on “Bachelor in Paradise” back in 2015 – suggested that she shouldn’t play Seattle Seahawks rookie wide receiver D.K. Metcalf. The rookie hauled in seven catches in an impressive 160-yard showing in the Seahawks’ 17-9 Wild Card win over the Philadelphia Eagles.
Some Twitter users questioned how many entries the reality TV star used to achieve the feat. Typically, DraftKings players are only allowed 20 entries per contest, but it’s possible to increase that number by working with a partner.
2x max entry from the look of it
— Bally Sports Sun Heat (@BallySportsHEAT) January 6, 2020
Still, the replies to Roper’s announcement were overwhelmingly positive, and even her DraftKings opponent appeared to hop in on the Twitter buzz surrounding her big win. Christian Serino tweeted his congratulations to Roper and her family while sharing her winning lineup with the internet. Her team featured Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson, New Orleans Saints running back Alvin Kamara, and Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Adam Thielen, among others.
Here’s the lineup (on the right).
Congrats, Jade & family. pic.twitter.com/sehZja3AvC
— ChristianSerino (@christianserino) January 6, 2020
- Read more:
- LeBron James gave the entire Ohio State football team new $US350 Beats headphones, and it’s not an NCAA violation thanks to a loophole
- 30 beautiful photos from this year’s Rose Bowl that show why it is ‘The Granddaddy of Them All’
- Tony Hawk thinks it’s funny when fans don’t recognise him or mistake him for other celebrities – and he says it happens ‘all the time’
- Google reveals the 10 athletes who caught our attention the most in 2019
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.