- The baby of the slain Chicago teen whose womb was cut open by a mother and her daughter has died, representatives of the family said in a statement.
- 46-year-old Clarisa Figueroa and her daughter, 24-year-old Desiree Figueroa were indicted on charges they lured 19-year-old Marlen Ochoa-Lopez to their home, with the promise of free baby clothes, and strangled her to death.
- They cut the baby from the teen’s womb to raise him as their own, according to the indictment.
- The baby, Yovanny Jadiel Lopez, died on Friday after suffering severe brain injury.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
The baby boy cut from the womb of his teenage mother died on Friday, representatives of the family said in a statement.
“It is with great sadness that we inform you of the passing of Yovanny Jadiel Lopez,” the statement reads. “He passed away this Friday June 14, 2019 from his severe brain injury. Please keep his family in your thoughts & prayers as they go through this difficult time.”
The boy’s mother, 19-year-old Marlen Ochoa-Lopez from Chicago, was nine months pregnant when she abruptly disappeared in May. Her remains were later discovered in a trash can and, on Wednesday, a mother and daughter were indictedby a Cook County grand jury on charges that they lured Ochoa-Lopez to their home, with the promise of free baby clothes, and strangled her to death, according to the Chicago Tribune.
According to the indictment, reviewed by the Tribune, 46-year-old Clarisa Figueroa and her daughter, 24-year-old Desiree Figueroa, cut Ochoa-Lopez’s child from her womb with the intention of raising the boy as their own. He suffered severe brain injuries, leading to his death.
Clarissa Figueroa allegedly been telling people that she was pregnant, according to the Tribute, beginning last October. On the day that Ochoa-Lopez vanished, the elder Figueroa called 911 claiming she’d just had a baby who wasn’t breathing, reported WGN. The baby was rushed to the hospital in critical condition and was on life support before he died.
“He can’t breathe on his own. He can’t eat on his own. There’s tubes down his throat. They harmed that baby,” Frank Avila, an attorney for the family, told WLS earlier this week. “There needs to be charges for the baby.”
BREAKING: PASSING OF BABY YOVANNY LOPEZ. Family just announced son of Marlen Ochoa Lopez died today from his severe brain injury.
Funeral will be a PRIVATE. Family requesting privacy. RIP, Baby Lopez. pic.twitter.com/ClADIVMmPs
— Nancy Loo (@NancyLoo) June 14, 2019
Figueroa and her daughter are charged with first-degree murder, and the elder Figueroa’s boyfriend, Piotr Bobak, has been charged with concealing a homicidal death, according to the Tribune.
“She did nothing to them. She was a good person,” Ochoa-Lopez’s husband, Yovanni Lopez, told WBBM in May. “I don’t know what caused them to, knowing she had a family, a 3-year-old son.”
The family plans to hold a private funeral for the baby.
- Read more:
- A mother and daughter have been charged with killing a pregnant teen and cutting the baby from her womb
- Officials ordered the GoFundMe border wall’s gates to stay open after it was built too close to an important monument
- ‘Sanctuary city for the unborn’: an all-male city council in Texas just voted to outlaw abortions in their town
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.