- A huge new “Avengers” game is in the works, and it was detailed on Monday night in Los Angeles at E3 2019.
- The game stars characters such as Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor, but none of them look like their movie versions.
- Since the cast in the “Avengers” movie franchise is by far the most popular version of the characters, millions of people around the world associate Iron Man with Robert Downey Jr., Captain America with Chris Evans, and Thor with Chris Hemsworth.
- As a result, people are roasting the game for having “knockoff” versions of the characters they know and love.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The famous cast of Marvel’s vast “Avengers” movie franchise is instantly recognisable.
Robert Downey Jr., for instance, has become synonymous with Tony Stark – the billionaire Marvel character who becomes Iron Man. (In fact, recent news of Downey working on climate change led to dozens of headlines claiming he wanted to be the “real-life Tony Stark.”)
And that’s why so many people were taken aback when the huge new “Avengers” game was finally shown off on Monday night: The game features a cast that looks and sounds completely different from the version of the characters known around the world from the films.
So how different are they? We’ve put together a thorough comparison below – you be the judge.
This is Captain America, played by Jeff Schine in the game.
Here’s Chris Evans playing Captain America in the movies.
Things get a little weirder when you get Cap’s mask off.
For comparison, this is Chris Evans again as Captain America.
This is Bruce Banner, aka the Hulk, played by Troy Baker in the game.
And here’s Bruce in the movies, played by Mark Ruffalo.
Black Widow in the game is especially different — here she is, played by Laura Bailey.
In the movies, Black Widow is played by Scarlett Johansson.
Thor is played by Travis Willingham — here’s what Thor looks like in the game.
And here’s Thor from the movies, portrayed by Chris Hemsworth.
Here’s Tony Stark, aka Iron Man, played by Nolan North in the game.
And here’s Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark in the movies.
People are turning to the 1987 comedy classic “Spaceballs” to make fun of the game’s version of the “Avengers.”
In one of the many classic scenes from “Spaceballs,” the movie’s heroes are seemingly captured by the bad guys – except it’s actually their stunt doubles.
“You idiots!” the enemy commander yells. “These are not them. You’ve captured their stunt doubles!”
That deepest of cuts is being used as a meme to roast the new “Avengers” game:
"You IDIOTS. These are not them! YOU CAPTURED THEIR STUNT DOUBLES!" pic.twitter.com/WDNXK7yf9b
— SomecallmeJohnny (@Somecallmejon) June 11, 2019
Check out the full scene right here: