- Robert Downey Jr. gave Chris Evans a 1967 Camaro RS after filming “Avengers: Endgame,” and customised it with a nod to Evans’ Marvel character.
- The center of the steering wheel has a Captain America shield and Evans told Men’s Journal that his costar hand-picked the car’s “melted army man green” colour.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
During an interview with Men’s Journal, Evans, who’s known for his role as Steve Rogers, spoke about the sentimental gift. The 37-year-old said that his costar (who stars as Tony Stark/Iron Man in the MCU) gave him a restored 1967 Camaro RS, which he now keeps in the garage of his Massachusetts home. In addition to a custom colour that Downey Jr. picked (“melted army man green”), the center of the steering wheel has a Captain America shield.
Evans added that he keeps the car in Massachusetts instead of LA because he’d never escape being seen by paparazzi. According to the Marvel star, the Camaro doesn’t cause people to immediately recognise him in his hometown. Instead, he’s more likely to find himself showing his vehicle to “old dudes.”
Fans previously got a look at the car during a 2018 episode of “Jay Leno’s Garage.”
— Jay Leno's Garage (@LenosGarage) August 30, 2018
“I think they’re aesthetically beautiful, but I don’t know much about them,” Evans told Leno.
Evans went on to say that he had an inkling that Downey Jr. was going to get him a vehicle because the actor pointed out cars to him and asked his opinion. He added that the new car was “way out my league,” based on the previous ones he’s owned.
Here’s a look at the Captain America-inspired steering wheel.
The car also has a plaque.
- Read more about Chris Evans:
- Mark Ruffalo suggested Benicio Del Toro should join the Marvel movies, and Chris Evans had to remind him that Del Toro already is
- Chris Evans says that he ‘can’t believe’ that Marvel released a trailer for ‘Avengers: Endgame’: ‘So much of it is a visual spoiler. You’ll see.’
- Mark Ruffalo, who ‘got in a lot of trouble’ for spoiling ‘Avengers,’ asked to do press with loose-lipped Tom Holland. Instead, he was paired with ‘tight-lipped’ Chris Evans.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.