- “Avengers: Endgame” dethroned “Avatar” as the biggest movie in the world of all time.
- But it has a tough hill to climb to beat “Gone with the Wind,” the highest-grossing movie ever after adjusting for inflation.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
“Avengers: Endgame” surpassed “Avatar” over the weekend to be the highest-grossing movie in the world of all time.
After a theatrical rerelease last month, “Endgame” finally managed to dethrone James Cameron’s sci-fi movie, which sat at the top of the global box office for a decade. “Endgame” has grossed $US2.790 billion and “Avatar” grossed $US2.789.
But that’s before adjusting for inflation.
“Endgame” has a much tougher hill to climb if it wants to beat “Gone with the Wind,” the highest-grossing movie ever after adjusting for inflation.
“Gone with the Wind,” originally released in 1939, grossed $US189 million domestically (not counting its multiple re-releases) and $US402 million worldwide, according to Box Office Mojo.
Adjusting the worldwide box office for inflation can get tricky, but below is a breakdown.
The “Gone with the Wind” worldwide total today would be an astounding $US7.4 billion, according to this consumer-price-index inflation calculator. The movie’s domestic total would be $US3.5 billion, based on the calculator.
Box Office Mojo calculates inflation by adjusting to a given year’s average US ticket price – $US9.01 this year – and doesn’t calculate worldwide-box-office inflation. But according to Box Office Mojo, the movie’s domestic total would be $US1.8 billion with inflation.
Either way, “Avengers: Endgame” would have to perform beyond anyone’s wildest dreams to beat “Gone with the Wind.”
- Read more of Business Insider’s “Avengers: Endgame” coverage:
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ raises questions about the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but gives plenty of clues
- How ‘Avengers: Endgame’ changes these 5 upcoming Marvel movies and TV shows
- Disney was off with its box-office estimates – and it turns out ‘Avengers: Endgame’ made even more money
- There are 6 Marvel movies in the works for after ‘Avengers: Endgame’ – here are all the details
- The 8 Marvel Cinematic Universe movies that made over $US1 billion at the global box office
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.