Australian stocks closed marginally lower.
- ASX 200: 5,713.60 -7.00 -0.12%
- All Ordinaries: 5,772.40 -6.58 -0.11%
- AUD/USD: 0.7984 +0.0025 +0.31%
The local market opened strongly, promising a second day of gains, but faded as the day headed to the close.
The miners were marginally higher and the major banks mixed.
The ANZ Bank was up 0.1% to $30.220 but the Commonwealth dropped 0.5% to $76.28.
Among the miners, Rio Tinto was up 0.3% to $66.89.
1. The RBA: A stronger dollar from here might hurt the Australian economy.
2. Creditors back CBS. Bruce Gordon and Lachlan Murdoch miss out on the Ten Network.
3. TPG Telecom smashes its annual results. But shareholders must make do with smaller dividends. However, its shares closed 5.1% higher at$5.49.
4. Australian consumers are feeling perky again. Consumer confidence turned around for the better last week, with the ANZ-Roy Morgan survey posting a 4.6% bounce.
5. The Auckland jet fuel crisis worsens. Air New Zealand is refueling long haul planes in Wellington.
6. Is this the the “dark side” of Airbnb? Why Airbnb poses a possible threat to rental affordability in Australia.
7. The future of Australia’s Big Things. The Big Banana, the big Merino, Big Avocado, the Big Orange and the Big Mango.
8. A HR exec explains a big problem for senior leaders. Staff are less likely to tell them the truth.
9. Your same-sex marriage postal ballot. Here’s when you should have received your postal ballot and what to do if it’s gone missing.