Australian airports will resume normal service with the aviation terrorism threat 'contained'

Scott Barbour/Getty Images

The security alert level at Australian airports will be restored to previous status after intelligence agencies decided a potential plot to detonate a toxic bomb on a plane has been fully disrupted.

Prime minister Malcolm Turnbull said today that the threat level “will be restored to the level it was a week ago” on advice from the director-general of ASIO.

Travellers are still being asked to arrive three hours before international flights and two hours before domestic flights for now, although these buffers are expected to be reduced.

“People should continue to arrive for their flights in accordance with the directions of their airlines, Turnbull said.

“We expect those arrival times be restored [to previous levels].”

Turnbull said he had been advised by the Australian Federal Police that he should expect “charges to be laid in due course” following investigations into a suspected plot to plant an explosive device, possibly placed within a kitchen appliance, in the luggage of an unwitting airline passenger.

Intelligence agents and state and federal police raided a number of properties across Sydney last Saturday, reportedly acting on information from British intelligence.

Three people are still under arrest following the raids.

NOW WATCH: Briefing videos

Business Insider Emails & Alerts

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

Follow Business Insider Australia on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.