One lucky punter has banked a cool £60,000 ($US77,000) after waiting all season for a seven-fold accumulator to come good.
Ladbrokes confirmed on Wednesday that a man from the Scottish Borders correctly bet on seven league champions and successfully turned £10 into £60,734.38.
For the bet to pay out, the man — who wished to remain anonymous — had to rely on Newcastle United, Sheffield United, Portsmouth, Celtic, Hibernian, Livingston, and Arbroath winning their respective league championship titles.
The punter was made to sweat on the final leg of his accumulator though as Newcastle United had to better Brighton & Hove Albion’s result last weekend in order to win the Championship on the last day of the league season.
Newcastle’s 3-0 victory over Burnley on Sunday meant Brighton had to beat Aston Villa.
But a last gasp 89th-minute equaliser from Jack Grealish ensured the Villans snatched a late draw against Brighton, meaning Newcastle won the title and one lucky bettor became £60,000 richer.
Ladbrokes spokeswoman Jessica Bridge told the BBC that accumulator bets “normally come agonisingly close but hit the crossbar in extra time,” but this customer “has 60,000 reasons to thank Jack Grealish.”
More from Alan Dawson:
- FIFA demands info on Manchester United’s £89.3 million Paul Pogba transfer after explosive details of the deal leaked
- A secret clause in one player’s contract could end up costing Manchester United $US53 million
- RANKED: The 11 footballers most likely to join a new club this summer, according to British bookmakers
- Real Madrid will reportedly spend €49 million to beat Barcelona to a 16-year-old Brazilian
- Tyson Fury vows to ‘box rings’ around ‘bodybuilder’ Anthony Joshua
Congratulations to this customer who picked the winner of seven leagues across England and Scotland.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.