- The Kansas City Chiefs announced that they ran out of fireworks during their seven-touchdown performance against the Houston Texans in the NFL playoffs on Sunday.
- Kansas City’s offensive explosion marked one of the largest comebacks in NFL playoff history.
- The Chiefs will host the Tennessee Titans next Sunday for the AFC Championship.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
There’s little doubt that Patrick Mahomes and the prolific Kansas City Chiefs offence are capable of putting lots of points on the board.
But no one could have expected the Chiefs’ scoring explosion during their divisional-round playoff game on Sunday – not even Kansas City’s stadium.
Arrowhead Stadium was ill-equipped to adequately celebrate the Chiefs’ 51-31 victory over Deshaun Watson and the Houston Texans that featured seven Kansas City touchdowns in the final three quarters. Since Arrowhead typically marks each Chiefs touchdown with a firework display, the stadium wound up running out of fireworks midway through Sunday’s contest.
Multiple NFL reporters tweeted that Arrowhead Stadium made an announcement about the sudden lack of fiery touchdown celebrations.
There was just an announcement at Arrowhead that because of the Chiefs offense they have run out of fireworks for the night.
— James Palmer (@JamesPalmerTV) January 12, 2020
The Chiefs just announced they have run out of fireworks at Arrowhead because the Chiefs scored so much
— Brian Costello (@BrianCoz) January 12, 2020
— El Duderino ???? (@RageATL26) January 12, 2020
Kansas City’s showing was one of the largest comebacks in NFL playoff history. Never before had a team come back from a deficit of more than 20 points to beat their opponent by 20-plus points in a postseason game.
The Chiefs will host the Tennessee Titans next Sunday for the AFC Championship.
- Read more:
- Deshaun Watson silenced a Chiefs player’s trash-talk by asking, ‘Who’s that?’
- Julian Edelman arrested on a charge of vandalism in Beverly Hills after big night out with Paul Pierce and Danny Amendola
- 49ers’ Richard Sherman appeared to mock Kirk Cousins’ signature catchphrase after eliminating the Vikings from the playoffs
- The Vikings lost their best chance to get back in their playoff game against the 49ers when they muffed a punt
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.