- Most AirPod models aren’t water-resistant, and none of them are waterproof, so you need to be careful when using them around water, including sweat.
- Only AirPods Pro are water-resistant, which means they can withstand heavy sweat and small splashes of water.
- The charging case isn’t water-resistant at all, and you should always dry off your AirPods before using or charging them.
- Apple won’t replace water-damaged AirPods, so if you want to use wireless earbuds around water, you may want to explore waterproof options.
- Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Wireless, compact, and easy to use, Apple AirPods are some of the best earbuds on the market today. Portable, easy-to-use, and sporting high quality audio, they work great.
Until they get wet, that is â€” then they probably won’t work at all.
AirPods aren’t waterproof
To state it plainly: no AirPod models are waterproof. If you submerge any AirPod in water, you’re risking severe damage.
Additionally, the only model that’s water-resistant is the newest, the AirPods Pro. This means they can handle heavy amounts of sweat, and light splashes of water. But even then, this resistance can wear off over time, and you should try to keep them dry.
Apple won’t cover damage caused by water â€” if your AirPods get water-logged, you’ll have to replace them out of your own pocket.
So keep your AirPods dry by not wearing them in the rain, keeping them away from water, taking them out when you’re going to be drenched in sweat, and only cleaning them with a dry cloth or a soft-bristled brush.
There are other water-resistant earbud options
AirPods are convenient thanks to their compatibility with other Apple devices, but if you want a set of earbuds you can wear while you exercise, while it rains, or when you’re around water, then you need to look elsewhere.
If you don’t mind a slender wire wrapping around the back of your neck, AUKEY offers their $US59 water-resistant B80 earbuds for over a hundred dollars less than a new set of Apple AirPods, and they will connect just fine with your iPhone.
Some companies, like TOZO, even offer wireless earbuds that are fully waterproof, not just water-resistant. Check out this pair of TOZO T10 Earbuds â€” also much cheaper than AirPods.
- embed type
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.