- You can use FaceTime on your Apple Watch to make and receive audio calls.
- Apple Watches don’t allow FaceTime video calls because they don’t have a built-in camera.
- You can place an Apple Watch FaceTime call using Siri or your watch’s Phone app.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Apple devices like the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Mac, and Apple Watch have FaceTime capability built in. However, on an Apple Watch, you can only place FaceTime Audio calls. That’s because Apple Watches do not have a built-in camera.
FaceTime Audio on an Apple Watch does have certain perks though, especially when compared to a normal phone call. With FaceTime Audio, all you need is an internet connection – no cellular service required – and it won’t use your cellular minutes.
And using FaceTime Audio over Wi-Fi rather than your cellular network can improve the audio quality of your calls. It may, however, use data if you are not connected to Wi-Fi.
If you’d like to make a FaceTime audio call on your Apple Watch, it’s easy to do so using Siri or your watch’s Phone app.
Use Apple Watch FaceTime with Siri
1. While pressing down on the Apple Watch’s digital crown, say “Hey Siri.” You can also tap the Siri widget if you have it activated on your Apple Watch.
2. Say “FaceTime [your contact’s name here].”
3. Siri will then initiate a FaceTime audio call to the contact you named.
Try Apple Watch FaceTime with the Phone app
1. Open the Phone app on your watch and go to your contact list.
2. Find the contact you want to call and tap on their name.
3. Then, on the person’s contact page, tap the phone icon.
4. On the next page, select FaceTime Audio.
5. Your watch will then begin calling the selected contact.