Photo: Illustration: Ellis Hamburger
The gurus at Piper Jaffray are still confident Apple is cranking away at the long-rumoured television set, which could launch by the end of this year.In its latest note, Piper Jaffray says it spoke to one “major” TV component supplier Apple is in talks with to provide parts for the television. The note also gives us a look at what streaming content will look like.
Here’s the breakdown:
- An Asian supplier says Apple television prototypes are already in the works. (As of September 2011.) That means the final model could be ready this year.
- Apple recently spoke to a major component supplier regarding parts for the Apple TV. This is also an indication that Apple is gearing up for a launch this year.
- For content management, Apple could provide a new interface that organizes everything from your current cable or satellite provider in a unified interface.
- Apple may provide live network TV in combination with streaming services like Netflix and Hulu.
- Apple could make agreements with content providers and allow users to pay for what they want “on an a-la-carte basis.”
- Piper Jaffray doesn’t think Apple will enter the TV market unless it has a powerful solution to reinvent the way people watch TV.
Want to know more?