Apple is planning a major overhaul of the Mac Pro, its high-end desktop computer.
According to reports in Axios, BuzzFeed, and elsewhere, the Cupertino technology company told a group of reporters that it intends to launch a new version of the powerful workstation — but it won’t be released until 2018.
“You won’t see any of these products this year,” exec Phil Schiller reportedly said. “It’s important to do something great. That will take longer than this year to do.”
He said: “We’re in the process of completely rethinking the Mac Pro.”
The Mac Pro line has long been neglected by Apple, despite calls from enthusiasts for a refresh. It has been more than 1,200 days — more than three years — since the last new release, according to MacRumors analysis.
Apple is also introducing a “modest performance update” for the current Mac Pro, according to Axios, in an attempt to placate consumers.
Apple also intends to launch a new “Pro” version of the iMac, its more midrange desktop computer.
This story is developing…
More from Business Insider UK:
- Here’s what it’s like to wear $US900 high heels designed by a former SpaceX exec
- RANKED: The 28 best car chases in movie history
- Tony Romo is retiring from the NFL and will become a broadcaster
- Student loans make it harder to achieve a cornerstone of the American dream by age 30
- Forget the Apple Watch — this mechanical $US65,000 square watch is stunning