- Apple launched new MacBook Pro laptops on Thursday.
- The 13-inch model with Touch Bar and the 15-inch model with Touch Bar have new processors and a few other updates.
- They’re not cheap though – the 13-inch version starts at $US1,799, and the 15-inch model will cost $US2,399.
- The thin and light MacBook and the MacBook Air didn’t get updates.
Apple launched new MacBook Pro laptops on Thursday with updated processors and displays and a “quieter” keyboard.
There are several new configurations for both the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. They have updated components, but the computer design is unchanged.
- The starting price for the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar is $US1,799, the same as before. It now can be configured with quad-core Intel chips.
- The entry price for the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar is $US2,399, also unchanged, and it comes with a six-core Intel processor.
Here’s how Apple summarises the specs:
Apple says its battery-life estimates are unchanged.
The new computers are available Thursday to order through Apple. Stores will get them later this week.
One big update is a “third-generation keyboard” that Apple says is capable of quieter typing – which would fix one complaint with the current MacBook Pro keyboards. The other main complaint, which has spurred class-action lawsuits, is that it’s fragile and can feel “sticky.”
Apple also updated its embedded ARM chip that controls the Touch Bar, Touch ID, and Siri voice assistant. The new chip, T2, also installed in the iMac Pro, can activate Siri by saying “Hey Siri.”
Apple also updated the laptop displays with True Tone, which the company says will deliver more natural colour.
The entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro without Touch Bar didn’t get an update, nor did the thin and light MacBook or the more inexpensive MacBook Air.
Here are the pictures Apple provided for the new laptops:
Apple also launched new leather sleeves for MacBook Pro laptops.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.