Apple is about to unveil details for iOS 6.Scott Forstall is up on stage at WWDC giving us the breakdown.
Here’s what’s new:
- Siri improvements. Siri can deliver sports scores now. It can give you batting averages, player heights, scores etc.
- Siri has better restaurant recommendations. Works with OpenTable and Yelp. You can make restaurant reservations now too.
- Better movie recommendations. Integration with Rotten Tomatoes.
- Siri can launch apps. Just tell it to “launch Angry Birds” or whatever and it does.
- Tweet from Siri.
- Siri will get auto integration with manufacturers like Land Rover, Honda, Mercedes, Audi…
- Siri coming to iPad
- Facebook integration. It’s the same format as Twitter integration in iOS now, except you post stuff to Facebook. Post photos, updates, links, etc. Third-party apps in the App Store will be able to integrate with Facebook too. Facebook events sync to your Calendar app.
- Phone app enhancements. When you get a call, you have the option to set a reminder to call the person back or send them a text if you’re busy. Do Not Disturb feature keeps notifications from buzzing or lighting up your screen. This is good when you’re asleep or in a meeting. If someone calls you multiple times while on Do Not Disturb, iOS will assume it’s an emergency and put the call through.
- FaceTime now works over 3G/4G.
- Tying together your phone number to your Apple ID. This will help prevent mixups with FaceTime calls and iMessages if you have multiple iOS devices.
- Offline reading list. It’s like Instapaper, letting you save articles and read them offline.
- Upload photos from your phone to sites on Safari.
- Share your PhotoStreams. You can now share and comment on photos you upload to your iCloud account.
- Mail VIPs. Flags emails from your favourite contacts.
- Upload attachments to email from within the compose window.
- New app: Passbook. Lets you save aeroplane boarding passes, gift cards, movie tickets, etc. in one app. Developers can tie in their gift cards, tickets, etc. to Passbook. For aeroplane tickets, the app updates with live gate information, etc.
- New accessibility settings.
- New maps app. Google map integration is gone. Apple is using its own thing. Integrated with Yelp for businesses. Built-in turn-by-turn directions. Siri integration with maps.
- Flyover: Gorgeous 3D maps from around the world. You can get information layover the 3D maps for landmarks, businesses, etc. The 3D maps are super detailed. They look gorgeous.
- Lost Mode. If you lose your iPhone, you can have the person who finds it call you.