- A new report from the reliable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple would release three new iPhone models in 2020.
- Kuo said the iPhone models would feature 5.4-inch, 6.1-inch, and 6.7-inch displays.
- Apple’s current iPhones feature 5.8-inch, 6.1-inch, and 6.5-inch displays.
- If the rumours are true, the smallest iPhone model in 2019 would get even smaller in 2020, while the biggest iPhone model would get even bigger next year.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Ming-Chi Kuo, the most reliable Apple analyst, said to expect new-size iPhones in 2020.
The two 5G-ready iPhones would have OLED screens measuring 5.4 inches and 6.7 inches. The other phone, measuring 6.1 inches, would also have an OLED screen but no 5G; it sounds like the eventual successor to the midrange iPhone XR.
I still own the iPhone X from 2017, which has a 5.8-inch OLED screen. Based on this report, it sounds like this phone design, and that of the iPhone XS, will be put out to pasture. The iPhone X/XS design would shrink down to differentiate it from the 6.1-inch iPhone XR successor, while the massive iPhone XS Max would become even bigger.
While I would be sad to see Apple ditching the 5.8-inch iPhone, the move would make a lot of sense. If Kuo’s note is accurate, and his notes usually are, Apple’s 2020 iPhones would satisfy a lot of people.
- A 5.4-inch iPhone would please anyone who prefers smaller devices and anyone who misses the diminutive iPhone SE.
- A 6.1-inch iPhone would be Apple’s midrange phone in more than one way. Its screen would not be too big or small, and not having 5G would probably make it less expensive than the other two models.
- A 6.7-inch iPhone would live up to Apple’s “Max” moniker, since I couldn’t imagine a larger phone without it becoming a tablet. (The iPad Mini’s screen would be only about an inch bigger!)
Of course, these are all rumours, and anything could change between now and whenever Apple releases its new iPhones in 2020. Aside from 5G, we have no idea what other features these phones might have or what type of design they will have. Considering how the 2019 iPhones are said to be similar to last year’s models, which were identical to the iPhone X in 2017, it would make sense to see a completely new design in 2020.
What do you think of these rumours? Would you be excited about a 5.4-inch iPhone or a 6.7-inch iPhone? Or would you be sad to see the 5.8-inch iPhone go? Email me at [email protected]
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.