Not so long ago phablets — large-screened phones — were ridiculed as goofy-looking and cumbersome. But consumers love them, and phablet sales are booming globally and cannibalising tablet sales.
At BI Intelligence, Business Insider’s research service, we recently completed a proprietary survey of global consumers’ tablet habits and preferences.
One of the questions we asked was whether our respondents were considering buying a phablet in the next two years (we defined a phablet broadly as a phone with a screen larger than 5 inches). Among those who were interested in phablets, which was some 220 people, we asked which brand they were interested in buying.
- Apple wins. 56% of our respondents, said they would be interested in buying an Apple phablet, “if they release one.” It’s remarkable that phablet buyers would choose a still nonexistent product over a lineup of established phablet brands. Speculation is that Apple could launch a large screened 5.5-inch iPhone 6 in September or October, alongside a standard 4.7-inch model.
- Android- and Windows-based devices are also in the running. Samsung, not surprisingly since it manufactures the popular Android Galaxy Note phablet, was in second place (22% of prospective phablet buyers) and Nokia/Lumia running Windows Phone software was in third place (7% of prospective phablet buyers).
- Overall, phablets are competing with tablets for consumer interest.33% of our total survey respondents said they are considering buying a phablet — a smartphone that is almost as large as a tablet — in the next couple of years. An Apple phablet would help the company recapture some of those device buyers reluctant to upgrade their old iPads. (See chart, below.)
In full, the report:
- Reveals detailed demographics about our 700 survey respondents.
- Gives detailed survey results including purchase intent/loyalty among iPad and iPad Mini owners.
- Breaks down full numbers on tablet user stats including percentage who use cell plans with their tablets, percentage who share their tablets, frequency of usage, and interest in phablets.
- Analyses the tablet market’s recent quarterly performance.
- Discusses market share trends for tablet makers like Apple and Samsung.
- Forecasts annual global tablet shipments through 2019.
- Correlates recent tablet market trends with recent consumer sentiment, revealed by the survey’s results.
NOW WATCH: Tech Insider videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.